Bonsai forum

Fuchsia

• Rudy
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 5

Replied by Rudy on topic Fuchsia

Posted 9 years 6 months ago #12945
Hi Bob,
Yes, I agree. I mentioned in my earlier emal to you that a picture will be coming. It is very overcast here today, so I hope to take a photo tomorrow. Thanks again. Rudy
by Rudy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175

Replied by bob on topic Fuchsia

Posted 9 years 6 months ago #12946
Sorry,
by bob

• Rudy
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 9 years 6 months ago #12947
Not a problem at all. I appreciate your willingness to help. I can see from your profile that you are an active member of the forum, and I am always eager to learn more.
by Rudy

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72

Replied by ironhorse on topic Fuchsia

Posted 9 years 6 months ago #12950
I've not had great success with Fuchsia bonsai, probably in part to the climate in North East England, but I've grown them as garden & container plants for many years. No reason why they can't be wired but as they grow strongly you will need to watch for wires cutting in to the bark and bark protection is a good idea. They like to be well fed and kept in moisture retentive soil, so more organic component than a 'normal' bonsai mix would be a good idea. I only have one bonsai Fuchsia right now, variety is 'Ariel' which one of the tiny leaf/flower variety although quite hardy, I think this might develop well in time.

Dave
by ironhorse
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rudy

• Rudy
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 9 years 6 months ago #12952
This will be my first attempt working on a Fuchsia bonsai, but I am looking forward to the challenge. It has a lot of character - a nice knurled trunk and older branches. I've had good luck with my Fuchsia plants as well, so it seems like a natural to take the next step and develop a bonsai. Thanks for the tip regarding the new branches and the wiring. I have a couple of Shimpaku Junipers that I am keeping an eye on for the same reason. So, you don't recommend using Akadama. All the trees I have are in Akadama, even my rose bonsai. That said, I undrestand the rational and think I might try a mixture of organic and Akadama when I repot it. It is growing in organic now. What do you think of using Kanuma? I use it for my Azaleas and they are doing great. Thanks again for the infomation.

Rudy
by Rudy

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151

Replied by Samantha on topic Fuchsia

Posted 9 years 6 months ago #12953

It has been growing for three months, flowers were pinched off and it was grown it in a shaded area to promote more lush foliage.

so leaves are better than flowers, (leaves always come, unless you kill the tree). Send a quick picture, we love pictures...
by Samantha

• Rudy
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 9 years 6 months ago #12955
In some cases yes, depending on the species and/or the stage of bonsai development. In this case the flower buds were pinched to force the plant's energy to the foliage and away from the flowers. It is true the leaves would have continued to grow without pinching the flowers, but at the expense of lush, fuller foliage. Pictures to follow over the weekend. Rudy
by Rudy

• Rudy
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 9 years 6 months ago #12956
Another question, Dave. At what stage do you begin to wire the branches of your Fuchsia bonsai? Do you wait for them to harded off, or do you begin early on while they are still supple? Thanks. Rudy
by Rudy

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72

Replied by ironhorse on topic Fuchsia

Posted 9 years 6 months ago #12959
My little one hasn't needed much shaping, only one established branch needed to be moved, it's easier to shape them while they are soft but I think there is actually more risk of damage at that stage - bear in mind however, my poor track record with Fuchsia as bonsai...

Dave
by ironhorse
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rudy

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151

Replied by Samantha on topic Fuchsia

Posted 9 years 6 months ago #12961

Rudy wrote: In some cases yes, depending on the species and/or the stage of bonsai development. ... Pictures to follow over the weekend. Rudy

Guess you'll get even more flowers next year.
by Samantha