• Page:

TOPIC:

Branch Wiring 9 years 1 month ago #14467

• BonsaiMackem
  • BonsaiMackem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 1
I hear a lot about branch wiring. I also hear a lot about the 'rule of thumb'. That if a branch is x thirds the thickness of the wire then it is OK to use it. No being terrific at maths due to a slight learning issue is there any other method I could use to judge whether a wire is thick enough for the branch? I have a loads of 2mm wire in a roll if that is of any help

Any help would be brilliant.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Branch Wiring 9 years 1 month ago #14469

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
By touch: feel how stiff the branch is to bend (How much force do you need to put it in the position you want). Then take a wire that requires similar force to bend.

Branch Wiring 9 years 1 month ago #14472

• BonsaiMackem
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

By touch: feel how stiff the branch is to bend (How much force do you need to put it in the position you want). Then take a wire that requires similar force to bend.

I see. So 2mm wire would be good for something like my Cryptomeria Japonica which has finer branches. It wouldn't be good on something like a Pine.

Branch Wiring 9 years 1 month ago #14475

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
No it would be the same for the same thickness of branch.

Branch Wiring 9 years 1 month ago #14476

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
For a developed, aged pine it is probably too strong. But it may be too weak for thicker branches. You just need to check on a per-species, per-branch basis. And after a while you just have a feel for it, and you do not even need to think about it.

Branch Wiring 9 years 1 month ago #14477

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72
If you have wired a branch and the wire is too weak simply add another wire, coiled parallel to the first. Practice on anything which is handy, remember too that whilst most people can put wire on a tree without damage taking it off without breaking something is different again - really worth buying proper wire removal cutters for this which are inexpensive and IMO essential.

Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: BonsaiMackem

Branch Wiring 9 years 1 month ago #14479

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

If you have wired a branch and the wire is too weak simply add another wire, coiled parallel to the first. Practice on anything which is handy, remember too that whilst most people can put wire on a tree without damage taking it off without breaking something is different again - really worth buying proper wire removal cutters for this which are inexpensive and IMO essential.

Absolutely agree. Get one of those, and safe yourself a lot of trouble de-wiring. Clipping bits of wire for putting on a tree can easily be done with any generic clippers. But taking off.. You need a dedicated wire cutter:

(www.growingbonsai.net/cats/general/tools/)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BonsaiMackem

Last edit: Post by leatherback.

Branch Wiring 9 years 1 month ago #14488

• BonsaiMackem
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Absolutely agree. Get one of those, and safe yourself a lot of trouble de-wiring. Clipping bits of wire for putting on a tree can easily be done with any generic clippers. But taking off.. You need a dedicated wire cutter:

(www.growingbonsai.net/cats/general/tools/)

I have a pair so I feel things are heading in the right direction for me.:-)

I also have lots of subjects to practice on. A variegated ficus that was intended for bonsai but is not suitable could be ok.

Last edit: Post by BonsaiMackem.
  • Page: