Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Pruned Bougainvillea 12 years 9 months ago #746

• michael12235
  • michael12235's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi,

Gonna provide some background before I get to the question.

Purchased a Bougainvillea back around Mother's Day. It was shipped via the post office and actually arrived in great shape. Had it located where it was getting direct sun for most of the day. About a month later it started looking bad, losing leaves and all the flowers. Relocated to a spot where is got a couple of hours of direct sun and then indirect the rest of the day. At that point it really took off! The leaves on the new growth got to be about twice the size of the older leaves. After reading the site here, I trimmed it back and have moved it to an inner room (my version of shade) and away from ceiling fans.

Here's the question...the site says "After a tree has been style-pruned place it in the shade and out of the wind. Fertilize as you would do normally and let the tree recover from the training for at least a few months." So, I'm suppose to leave it in the "shade" for the next couple of months? That just seemed excessive....but I'm new to this.

Thanks!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Pruned Bougainvillea 12 years 9 months ago #747

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I personally find that a tree will take a trimming really well, when in good shape beforehand. Especially senescent trees will recover well. If you make sure the tree does not get eccessive sun and wind for the next week, it should be already on it's way to recovery.

However, if you do major root work, then longer calm periods are a must.

Re: Pruned Bougainvillea 12 years 9 months ago #748

• michael12235
  • michael12235's Avatar Topic Author
Thank you.

I'll keep an eye on it and give it a week or two.

Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Re: Pruned Bougainvillea 12 years 7 months ago #1474

• Treeman
Found a lot of info on bougies in general at BGI-USA.COM. They also sell bougie bonsai & a fertilizer they claim is good. (Haven't tried it) Good luck with your new tree! :cheer:

• Page: