Bonsai forum

New to me!

• Pattie.wagon
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

New to me! was created by Pattie.wagon

Posted 8 years 11 months ago #15873
:cheer:
Hello, I ordered a nice Bonsai from go green and the post office trashed the box, surprisingly the little guy is still alive but I complained before giving it a look see,and got another one, oops.
Well I don't have good lighting here so I bought a nice sunlight lamp. The instructions say water every 2 days for 15 minutes but I check the soil first to determine how wet. The pair of them are growing like crazy. I named them already tippy and pippy.
Due to the way they are shaped. Pippy is like pippy long stocking and tippy explains itself.
I'm curious if I should start to use wire to direct the leaning of them I have nipped the new growth a little just to keep the shape.
Anyone have tips for me?
Interested to hear what I should and shouldn't do.
Thank you
by Pattie.wagon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic New to me!

Posted 8 years 11 months ago #15874

Pattie.wagon wrote: The instructions say water every 2 days for 15 minutes but I check the soil first to determine how wet

You should never water according to a schedule, but according to the requirements of the tree.

The pair of them are growing like crazy. I'm curious if I should start to use wire to direct the leaning of them I have nipped the new growth a little just to keep the shape.

For some reason, people who buy their first bonsai always think they need to prune and wire it, without knowing how to prune or wire, killing the trees in the process.
The trees you have acquired are most likely mallsai - commercial trees that have already been shaped, usually in a typical S-shape.

All you should do for now is keep them alive and do as you did: remove the new growth just to keep the shape.
by Auk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.