Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Taking back a Ficus Pandora 8 years 5 months ago #17545

• Graph
  • Graph's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 5
Hey fellow bonsai nerds,
I'd like to get your opinion on something. I have a little Ficus here (of the Pandora variety) which is quite apically dominant. As a result of that it has gone a bit crazy over the last year.. but that's ok. I wanted to restyle it like a tropical tree anyways.

The tree is 10yo, was last repotted in spring 2014 and lives in my kitchen under the grow-light in temps ranging from 20 to 28°c far away from any radiators or windows.

On the attached image I have marked 3 potential cut points, which one would take to make this a nice broom-ish tropical tree?

greets
Raphael

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Taking back a Ficus Pandora 8 years 5 months ago #17553

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

On the attached image I have marked 3 potential cut points, which one would take to make this a

Considering the diameter of the trunk, to keep things in proportion, I'd probably take the lowest one possible. Seems like a bit of a waste of a nice plant though... I think I'd try an air layer.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Taking back a Ficus Pandora 8 years 5 months ago #17555

• Graph
  • Graph's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 5
As a matter of fact i did do an airlayer slightly below the green line yesterday evening. Took that branch to the right of the green off and sliced at that height. If i had gone for the blue line i could make myself a nice standard broom shape but since i want a tropical looking one i need some mayor branches offset on the z axis(y if you're into 2d ;).

That (future)cut will allow me to train the top to a double trunk while leaving 3 small (twigs atm) to create the broom crown and the 2 lower branches to pull up for merging into the crown.. should be an interesting journey.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by Graph.
  • Page: