TOPIC:

Spruce literati 8 years 4 months ago #18065

• Enaisio
  • Enaisio's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 67
Hello everyone,
I have just bought a chrismas tree and im hoping i can turn it into my first literati style. Ive got an idea of the design but ive got no idea how to create it. I dont know if i can start its first styiling this year or if i should wait . Can someone please help me trough this or at least tell me if its even possible ?
Here is a photo of the material

And here is an idea of the design ( got inspiration from a tree not to far from home )

I know spuce are hard to work with and that its going to take decades before it looks remotly like it but id like to know what the first step is.
Thanks
Nico

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Spruce literati 8 years 2 months ago #18586

• Plevenmomiche
  • Thanks received: 0
I don't see why you couldn't start immediately. The caution I've seen repeated over and over is to only stress one part of the plant at a time--either roots or top, but not both. So, if you need to repot and trim the roots right now, then give it time before heavy styling of the branches. Alternatively, if no repotting is necessary at present, then style away! Good luck. :)

Spruce literati 8 years 2 months ago #18587

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101
WAIT Don't start immediately.
I'm surprised you haven't found the pruning page on this website, but it says 'Overall, the early spring or late autumn is the right time to structure-prune a tree (just before and after the growth season).'
Make sure the timing is correct before you do anything or it could seriously damage your tree. Here in the UK (you're in Scotland, right?) spring starts in March, so wait until then before structural pruning (the 'official' name for shaping the tree).

Ed

oh, right:
www.bonsaiempire.com/basics/styling/pruning

Last edit: Post by BonsaiLearner.

Spruce literati 8 years 2 months ago #18631

• Enaisio
  • Enaisio's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 67
Im sorry to dissapoint :( since i didnt get a response when i posted it i done some research of my own and i got convinced by some videos and websites that it was ok to structural prune a spruce in late autumn early winter , so i done the pruning on the chrismass holidays :( i hope thats not to much of a bad thing . Maybe it will help that i didnt prune it too hard?
Ps : yes im in scotland

• Page: