Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Styling tips for a brush cherry (beginner) 8 years 1 month ago #19039

• Wisebonsai
  • Wisebonsai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
At least that's what I think it is. I re-potted it a few days ago when I got it. The thicker branches are stiff, and from what I've read online and bending it myself, its branches are brittle, can easily snap. Leaves are ovate and hard. I was thinking of widening its canopy, especially when viewing it laterally it just looks too narrow. The branches seem to want to grow in a vertical direction leaving not enough spread or horizontal movement. It feels a little too crowded. Hope I've given enough information. I'd love to hear all your input on how I should tackle this, e.g. wiring, pruning, etc. Thanks a lot.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Wisebonsai.

Styling tips for a brush cherry (beginner) 8 years 1 month ago #19040

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101
Well, it's not the worst stick in a pot that I've seen, but it's still just a stick in a pot. I'm not sure why you re-potted it (were you told to by a friend/website?) but it probably wasn't good; It's still a bit too early in the year to re-pot.
I would recommend you planting it in the ground (Do you have a garden?) although I'm not sure whether this tree would survive in your climate.
What country are you in, may I ask?

Ed

Last edit: Post by BonsaiLearner.

Styling tips for a brush cherry (beginner) 8 years 1 month ago #19057

• Wisebonsai
Thanks Ed. I re-potted it because the vendor told me it had been sitting in the nursery pot for about 6 years and said I could re-pot it around this time of year. Plus the soil didn't look to be in a good state so I decided to do some cleanup, change of soil, light root pruning, etc. I live in an apartment in Southeast Asia. It is a native tree here and read that it's hardy. Can I wire it now right after re-pot or will I just be adding more stress to it at this juncture?

Styling tips for a brush cherry (beginner) 8 years 1 month ago #19058

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
If you wire now you'll only add more stress.
Honestly, the best thing to do is to let it grow. Occasionally re-pot it in to a bigger pot and let its trunk thicken up.

Ed
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wisebonsai

Styling tips for a brush cherry (beginner) 8 years 1 month ago #19060

• Wisebonsai
If I let it grow without wiring would I miss the opportunity of styling it better while its branches are still young and flexible? Also, do you see a particular style(s) that would go with this type of tree for future development? Thanks!

Styling tips for a brush cherry (beginner) 8 years 1 month ago #19106

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hmm...
Well, you can do some rudimentary, fundamental wiring of the branches. I would recommend closing the gap between the two main branches; it's too wide for my liking (of course this is personal preference).
I suggest hokidachi style.

Ed

• Page: