Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

How can I make my pads look thicker? 8 years 6 days ago #20361

• 00edgar
  • 00edgar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello

I just got my first bonsai a few months ago and everything is going great. I've done plenty of research and I'm pretty clear on the care and pruning basics. However, the pads are somewhat unpopulated due to lack of pruning.
My question is can I cut with scissors the long branches coming out of the pads or should I just trim as much as I can with my fingers?
Also, can I sand the nubs left over from removing large branches?

Thank you
Ed

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How can I make my pads look thicker? 8 years 6 days ago #20362

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 128
Pads look like they can use a good thinning out, which will help in shaping, light penetration, tree health, and also ramification (compact thicker pads).

A few quick things:
1. Inner branches and needles look dull, leggy, and unhealthy. That's probably an indication of too little light from too much foliage. There are new buds growing at their bases, so you should remove the old and let those new vigorous ones grow in. The fresh light inside the tree will help
2. Thin it out and trim away branches/branchlets you don't need. It will look somewhat ragged at first, but the growth will come, and appear more compact.
3. Give us a few more images of the tree, and we can also give advice on styling, too. If it's the same as your profile pic, it could use some styling work. First glance is the branches are long in relation to the trunk. The closer you can get them to the trunk (by wiring or back budding (see #2)) the more in proportion your tree will look. Get some photo shots of the trunk base, as it may give indication of soil conditions.
4. Make sure it stays outside. Bring it indoors only for a short while. It's a tree. They need to grow out there.
5. Find a local club. They'll be more than happy to show you good technique and give you one-on-one advice about your tree. Couldn't ask for a better head start.

How can I make my pads look thicker? 8 years 6 days ago #20363

• Dominion
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 28
try opening up the pads by wiring them..

so instead of all foliage growing upwards, you wire it so is goes sideways.. this will improve a lot..
this way you can style your pads and where necessary, trim a bit..
after you did that, you prune off all foliage growing downwards..

www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/AT%20Styling%2...and%20Placement.html

peterteabonsai.wordpress.com/2012/10/11/...lean-up-and-styling/

and many more to be found using google..
The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback, Niwaki

How can I make my pads look thicker? 8 years 5 days ago #20366

• 00edgar
Thank you for your through response brkirkland22

1. So can I simply cut the leggy branches with scissors to allow the new growth to take over ?
2. OK
3. I need plenty of help with styling. I knew something wasn't right and definitely is the long branches in relation to the trunk, it doesn't look natural. Should I cut the tips of the branches considerably to encourage that backgrowth? I have attached some more pics and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking of removing the 2 branches closest to the bottom of the trunk and one of the two in the middle that are growing too close together.
4. I keep it outside most of the time
5. Matilda (that's her name) is in Colombia and I haven't been able to find a club.

Thank you Dominion, I read both articles.

This message has attachments images.

How can I make my pads look thicker? 8 years 5 days ago #20368

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Here we go!
1. There's some debate as to scissors vs pinching. I prefer scissors, with the thought being: scissors are a clean cut, which heals better, while pinching can crush surrounding tissues. Cut away.
Remember this: junipers, like most conifers, rarely if ever, grow back if there is no foliage to keep the vein alive. If you cut back to a basic stump with no green remaining, it will most likely die back to the next point of growth (i.e. next branch or the trunk). If there is a crotch bud (the little guy at the intersection of two branches/branchlets) you have a really good chance of maintaining growth there. Even better: leave the cut stub long - you can prune back the deadwood later once it heals up (following year).
For example: in Pic 2, you could go so far as to prune the entire branch up to your index finger, and those last few branches should keep it going. Using wire, the branches could be fanned out like Dominion recommended, thereby opening it up & naturalizing the visual look.
Some junipers do not back bud easily. This looks like a varietal of Chinese juniper, like shimpaku. If that's what it is, I've had good luck with back budding. The only way you'll really know what your tree will do is when you prune.
3. That's going to take some thought, and may be best with someone in person. I can draw up a few things, but someone on hand can really get a good feel of the tree.
4. Good!
5. Matilda whaa? :blink:
Columbia the country? City? Keep searching. I drive an hour to my closest one, and nearest bonsai friend is 30 minutes!
Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 00edgar

How can I make my pads look thicker? 8 years 5 days ago #20369

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
And I wouldn't cut off those lower branches just yet, you may be surprised. I was given a 30" shimpaku with four straight trunks, foliage only in the top 1/3. I cleaned it out (#2), hard pruned long growth (like "up to your fingers" mentioned earlier), and let it grow. New buds popped out near the base, and I was able to cut back hard the following year. (I later separated to the best trunk). 6 years later, I've got this:

(Never mind styling, I'm still in process. This has more years ahead yet before its bonsai) :whistle:
That's to say, I didn't have any growth there, but I waited until there was. Then I chose the bud and trunk I wanted, and pruned from there. It was a mix of what I wanted, and what the tree wanted. Be patient and grow with it.

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 00edgar

How can I make my pads look thicker? 8 years 5 days ago #20387

• Dominion
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
i wouldn't go as far as encouraging a beginner into pruning away and hoping for backbudding..
you were lucky with your juniper, but in 90% of the cases they will NOT EVER backbud..

also, pruning too hard can weaken the plant too much and cause it to die..
also hard pruning can cause the growth of juvenile foliage which can take years to get rid off and will ruin your plans for the tree (depending on the subspecies)..

just open up the pads by wiring them and go from there..
The following user(s) said Thank You: brkirkland22, 00edgar

Last edit: Post by Dominion.

How can I make my pads look thicker? 8 years 4 days ago #20426

• 00edgar
Ill start there and send you pics of the progress.
Finally can I sand the stubs left over from cutting large branches to make it look more natural?

How can I make my pads look thicker? 8 years 3 days ago #20428

• Dominion
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
leave the bark on, leave a good stump (few cm).. let it dry out a year..

that's just aesthetics anyways and not priority..

Last edit: Post by Dominion.

How can I make my pads look thicker? 8 years 3 days ago #20431

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

i wouldn't go as far as encouraging a beginner into pruning away and hoping for backbudding..

Good post. I fully agree with all of it.

About pinching or using scissors: I think the key issue is that "Junipers build energy from their tips".
Pinch or prune too much, and you'll eventually kill the tree.

Source: crataegus.com/2012/08/26/how-to-pinch-junipers/

However, also read:

bonsaibark.com/2012/09/01/pinch-dont-pinch/

Last edit: Post by Auk.
  • Page: