• Page:

TOPIC:

My first wiring experience 7 years 8 months ago #23245

• Enaisio
  • Enaisio's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 67
The original plan for this plant was actually to let it grow by using sacrificial branches and then work it out from there but then I received my first Bach of wire and I needed to try it :) if you look at the last pic you can see a new shoot growing from the trunk , could I not use that to thicken the trunk while pruning the rest to define the foliage pads ? I'm sorry to sound narcisist but I kinda like the shape it's took :) will it not work if I use the sacrificial branch ?
#RedJames I'm in scotland I doubt that the sun here will be hot enough to burn anything lol ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My first wiring experience 7 years 8 months ago #23246

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82

Where are you from? Here in the states it hot summer time . and I have heard and read to be careful with wiring in the heat as the wire will burn the tree

is this true?
Usually the marks you see appear if you leave wire too long during the growing season, as the wire will cut the branch as the tree grows. I've never heard about wire burning the tree. interesting.

My first wiring experience 7 years 8 months ago #23247

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82

The original plan for this plant was actually to let it grow by using sacrificial branches and then work it out from there but then I received my first Bach of wire and I needed to try it :) if you look at the last pic you can see a new shoot growing from the trunk , could I not use that to thicken the trunk while pruning the rest to define the foliage pads ? I'm sorry to sound narcisist but I kinda like the shape it's took :) will it not work if I use the sacrificial branch ?
#RedJames I'm in scotland I doubt that the sun here will be hot enough to burn anything lol ;)

Sacrificial branches work. But I think they are more useful for more advanced trees, to create better tapper, or if you already have something that looks like a trunk. Your tree's trunk is still way too thin, and it will take a very long time to thicken using only sacrificial branches. It will thicken faster if you just let it grow, then once you get a decent size trunk you use only sacrificial branches. It is good to get a trunk before doing anything. But I mean, it is up to you. The wiring looks clean, much better than my first attempts at wiring. Oh, much much better.

Last edit: Post by eangola.

My first wiring experience 7 years 8 months ago #23772

• Enaisio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I have decided to keep the wire on for now and give it a basic styling just so I can get some experience in knowing how long I can keep the wire on and notice when it's about to bite in then in a year or two I'll do a nice trunk chop and start all over with more experience:)

My first wiring experience 6 years 11 months ago #31980

• Enaisio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I rewired it this year here's what came out of it

In the meantime the trunk is thickening ;)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Page: