Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Pre-Bonsai Meyer Lemon Tree - 2 yr old 7 years 8 months ago #23940

• rtmitchell15
  • rtmitchell15's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi all. I recently picked up a lemon tree from a local nursery. The tree, as it is now, is about 2ish' ft tall, with numerous branches (with numerous shoots) and fruit. It has a couple real good sacrifice branches that I will leave in place as I develop the trunk and root system.
My question is - at it's current height, it is a bit too tall for the vision I have for it. Ideally, I'd like to keep it around 14-18". At this point in the season, would it be worth pruning the main trunk to the my ideal height? Or, would it be best to let it grow out until next season and see where it's at? I've also decided that I will go with the trunk direction as it is now - which is pretty vertical, but might wire towards the top where it is a bit thinner right now, and wire the branches to create some movement. I do not want to cut and grow the trunk. I was considering cutting the trunk back, because the way I understand it, it is best to keep the trunk branches to a minimum while developing its' thickness, while keeping 2-3 sacrifice branches and pruning accordingly each season. Then, once you've attained the desired thickness, you can develop branches and the canopy (in bonsai phase).
It might be hard to offer advice without seeing a photo. I will try to upload one tonight. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pre-Bonsai Meyer Lemon Tree - 2 yr old 7 years 8 months ago #23942

• Williebb
i have a meyer lemon that has been potted for 5yrs while i did not bonsai the tree it is very vigorous i often cut 2ft shoots that grow in just a few months i keep it around 2 1/2 ft tall but mine has had no problems pruning during any time of the year but i will tell you it can be a water hog

Pre-Bonsai Meyer Lemon Tree - 2 yr old 7 years 8 months ago #23944

• rtmitchell15
Thanks Williebb!
In that case, I'll keep it pruned (height wise) to around my desired bonsai height, and work the branches/shoots as I feel necessary to stimulate good trunk development.

Pre-Bonsai Meyer Lemon Tree - 2 yr old 7 years 8 months ago #23945

• rtmitchell15
Williebb,
Since you have the same tree, do you recommend any pesticides/fertilizers that have worked well with yours?

Pre-Bonsai Meyer Lemon Tree - 2 yr old 7 years 8 months ago #23949

• Williebb
im in the mts of california 4000ft elevation so i dont have alot of pest but one and it drives me crazy its scale the soft back ones and ive tried everything neem oil related and found a product called azamax and with just one app i see a 80% reduction and after the second 100% you can also spray the soil and the roots will suck it up and it will get inside the plant leaves but if all fails and you get over whelmed you can use soapy water with a tbls of listerine mouth wash and clean the whole tree befor using azamax and that will kill them all , and i use lilly miller citrus fert or dr earth citrus fert , and you will at some time need to add iron if the leaves start to turn yellow hope this helps if you ever get scale i just saved you countless hours in research and $200 bucks on sprays that these guys will drink like beer lol

Pre-Bonsai Meyer Lemon Tree - 2 yr old 7 years 8 months ago #23952

• rtmitchell15
Willie-
have you done any wiring to your tree? if so, about how long do you typically leave it on before scarring starts to affect it?

Pre-Bonsai Meyer Lemon Tree - 2 yr old 7 years 8 months ago #23953

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101
With any wiring, you leave it until the wire is just about to dig in to the branch. this can vary depending on the health of the tree. You just have to learn how to know when to remove it, but it could take weeks, months or years depending on the tree.

Ed

• Page: