• Page:

TOPIC: Azalea bonsai.

Azalea bonsai. 2 years 3 months ago #24584

Hi guys, I have previously posted in the help me forum but i feel my post may be better placed here.

Ok,guys, first things first, my name is Isaac and I am from Melbourne, Australia and Im studying botany and agricultural science.
This is my first post on this forum and I am searching for some advice from some seasoned azalea growers.
I have recently been lucky enough to acquire/save an azalea with an average top but a fantasic gnarled old bottom, howver there are two ''trunks'' to this tree and as I am fairly new to the art of bonsai I would love some advice on how to proceed with the tree design into the future.
I have cut him right back from the condition I found him, he hes a really nice healthy root ball which i have also trimmed back of woody roots to leave a small root ball of fine root hairs.
I figure that I will focus on the shorter side of the trunk and probably cut the longer side off down to the point where it widens out.
The other thought I was entertaining was that of rotating the whole tree 45 degrees to the left after removing the longer trunk and having the short trunk become vertical.
I love the look of the base of the tree and think it has great potential. I really think I have got lucky coming into possession of the tree and as such I want to do it justice so any advice will be taken into consideration.
I have general conceptual knowledge of how to proceed from here but I need the expertise of someone more experienced and I thank anyone who has the time to aid me in my quest.
Looking forward to the discussion!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• shaggas
  • shaggas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Azalea bonsai. 2 years 3 months ago #24590

Welcome to the empire.
Question: Why do you duplicate your post from yesterday?
  • leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1645

Azalea bonsai. 2 years 3 months ago #24593

I thought it may be in the wrong place on the initial post. But now I realise all of the posts are visible together haha. I will try and delete the original post
  • shaggas
  • shaggas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Azalea bonsai. 2 years 2 months ago #26346

I think you should seal off the bare bits of the tree just in case it gets infected and somehow encourage the growth of foliage.
  • Mossy moss
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 15
  • Page: