Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Azalea bonsai. 7 years 8 months ago #24584

• shaggas
  • shaggas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi guys, I have previously posted in the help me forum but i feel my post may be better placed here.

Ok,guys, first things first, my name is Isaac and I am from Melbourne, Australia and Im studying botany and agricultural science.
This is my first post on this forum and I am searching for some advice from some seasoned azalea growers.
I have recently been lucky enough to acquire/save an azalea with an average top but a fantasic gnarled old bottom, howver there are two ''trunks'' to this tree and as I am fairly new to the art of bonsai I would love some advice on how to proceed with the tree design into the future.
I have cut him right back from the condition I found him, he hes a really nice healthy root ball which i have also trimmed back of woody roots to leave a small root ball of fine root hairs.
I figure that I will focus on the shorter side of the trunk and probably cut the longer side off down to the point where it widens out.
The other thought I was entertaining was that of rotating the whole tree 45 degrees to the left after removing the longer trunk and having the short trunk become vertical.
I love the look of the base of the tree and think it has great potential. I really think I have got lucky coming into possession of the tree and as such I want to do it justice so any advice will be taken into consideration.
I have general conceptual knowledge of how to proceed from here but I need the expertise of someone more experienced and I thank anyone who has the time to aid me in my quest.
Looking forward to the discussion!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Azalea bonsai. 7 years 8 months ago #24590

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Welcome to the empire.
Question: Why do you duplicate your post from yesterday?

Azalea bonsai. 7 years 8 months ago #24593

• shaggas
  • shaggas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I thought it may be in the wrong place on the initial post. But now I realise all of the posts are visible together haha. I will try and delete the original post

Azalea bonsai. 7 years 6 months ago #26346

• Mossy moss
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 15
I think you should seal off the bare bits of the tree just in case it gets infected and somehow encourage the growth of foliage.

• Page: