Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

When should I wire my bonsai? 7 years 7 months ago #24649

• Keefer
  • Keefer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I just bought one of those commercialized bonsai starter kits that are doomed to fail, but I am determined to see it live long and grow to be beautiful. Here is a picture.

I learned that it is a few years old, a cutting from a procumbens nana, rooted and allowed about one years growth. It's been repotted with your average easy draining soil mix because the pot it came in had no drainage holes... When should I begin pruning and wiring? (And I thought wiring and pruning would be considered the same thing as training and shaping? What's the difference there?)

Thanks!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When should I wire my bonsai? 7 years 7 months ago #24651

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151
It needs to drain, get it out of that pot, now. Put it in the ground, and wait about five or ten years, or a bigger pot if you don't have a garden. you need to look at www.bonsaiempire.com/basics.

Welcome to the "hobby", or is it "insanity"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Auk

Last edit: Post by Samantha.

When should I wire my bonsai? 7 years 7 months ago #24667

• Keefer

It's been repotted with your average easy draining soil mix because the pot it came in had no drainage holes...

It's in a bigger pot now - I was worried I would be stressing it out too much and it would just keel over on me, but it really needed it because even the soil it came it didn't seem right. It was just dirt with a foul smell from being wet constantly.

When should I wire my bonsai? 7 years 7 months ago #24719

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82

It's been repotted with your average easy draining soil mix because the pot it came in had no drainage holes...

It's in a bigger pot now - I was worried I would be stressing it out too much and it would just keel over on me, but it really needed it because even the soil it came it didn't seem right. It was just dirt with a foul smell from being wet constantly.

Ok leave it alone now. It is way too young to be styled (I am talking years). Learn to take care of it first. Can you put it in the ground next year?

Last edit: Post by eangola.

When should I wire my bonsai? 7 years 7 months ago #24725

• Keefer
I can't put it in the ground where I live - it's all maintained by the landlord. It's pot is much bigger now, I was thinking it would be able to develop a little more in it

• Page: