TOPIC: Just got a Jade Bonsai! - Total newb over here :)

Just got a Jade Bonsai! - Total newb over here :) 2 years 3 weeks ago #27689

Cash wrote: A "tree" is defined as a perennial plant with an elongated stem, or trunk, supporting branches and leaves in most species.
Perennial is defined as a plant that lives for more than two years.

So you would consider chilis to be trees? In their native range they are perannuals, grows a main stem with side-branches and leaves..

Samantha wrote: Perhaps if you would dare to broaden your horizons

This has nothing to do with daring to broaden an horizon. That comment is actually really insulting. You seem to say I have not looked into the species. I havem and I have found them to be less suitable. It is NOT ignorance that leads me to the conclusion, but exploration of the trees I have seen, the growth habit and the dificulties involved.

As you pointed out: The trees on the web in general are not very good for this species. Come to that the everlasting mix-up between Jade (Crassula) with dwarf jade (portulacaria ) where Crassula is pretty much completely useless, and portulacaria has been shown to be trainable, but difficult, make it a dificult discussion.
As said before: I do not consider it a starterstree as it is way to hard to train, and keep alive. Chinese elm, ficus, trident maple, field maple: Those are species that can be trained easily, scars on 3 of them heal well, and if kept outdoors in summer, can take most neglect of all species involved.

In any case. I am out of this discussion. People implying that I am ignorant is enough for me to stop contributing.
  • leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1645

Just got a Jade Bonsai! - Total newb over here :) 2 years 3 weeks ago #27693

leatherback wrote: People implying that I am ignorant is enough for me to stop contributing.

Sorry, sometimes my words, just don't come out right. Maybe that's why plants are so much more interesting than people. I did not mean that you were ignorant, honestly, you seem quite bright. Please forgive me.
  • Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 137

Just got a Jade Bonsai! - Total newb over here :) 2 years 3 weeks ago #27694

should i report to the dean, in the morning....
i don't think jade can help but be ugly, it's their charm. You know the ugly little houseplant in the corner.
  • Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 137