Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Just got a Jade Bonsai! - Total newb over here :) 7 years 5 months ago #27689

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

A "tree" is defined as a perennial plant with an elongated stem, or trunk, supporting branches and leaves in most species.
Perennial is defined as a plant that lives for more than two years.

So you would consider chilis to be trees? In their native range they are perannuals, grows a main stem with side-branches and leaves..

Perhaps if you would dare to broaden your horizons

This has nothing to do with daring to broaden an horizon. That comment is actually really insulting. You seem to say I have not looked into the species. I havem and I have found them to be less suitable. It is NOT ignorance that leads me to the conclusion, but exploration of the trees I have seen, the growth habit and the dificulties involved.

As you pointed out: The trees on the web in general are not very good for this species. Come to that the everlasting mix-up between Jade (Crassula) with dwarf jade (portulacaria ) where Crassula is pretty much completely useless, and portulacaria has been shown to be trainable, but difficult, make it a dificult discussion.
As said before: I do not consider it a starterstree as it is way to hard to train, and keep alive. Chinese elm, ficus, trident maple, field maple: Those are species that can be trained easily, scars on 3 of them heal well, and if kept outdoors in summer, can take most neglect of all species involved.

In any case. I am out of this discussion. People implying that I am ignorant is enough for me to stop contributing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by leatherback.

Just got a Jade Bonsai! - Total newb over here :) 7 years 5 months ago #27693

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151

People implying that I am ignorant is enough for me to stop contributing.

Sorry, sometimes my words, just don't come out right. Maybe that's why plants are so much more interesting than people. I did not mean that you were ignorant, honestly, you seem quite bright. Please forgive me.

Just got a Jade Bonsai! - Total newb over here :) 7 years 5 months ago #27694

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151
should i report to the dean, in the morning....
i don't think jade can help but be ugly, it's their charm. You know the ugly little houseplant in the corner.