Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Just bought Acer Palmatum Shaina, Japanese Maple 6 years 11 months ago #30886

• The
  • The's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hey guys, can you help me please? :) I have experiences with bonsai trees but with new trees from garden center i am beginner. I styled picea glauca and juniperus chinesis before, but when it comes to broadleaf tree I am a bit lost :) I bought this Acer Palmatum Shaina today and i am looking for help what to do with it. Should I cut off the right bottom branch and continue with 2, for example? What style would you prefer for this tree, how to wire it and what would you cut off.. and my last question, after styling, should i cut off all the leaves (as i just read it in bonsai book)? :D Thank you for all your comments and help :)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Just bought Acer Palmatum Shaina, Japanese Maple 6 years 11 months ago #30897

• Bonsai Bender
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 70
Great Forum name The
I am glad you are getting into broadleaf trees but I do have a bit of bad news for ya. With Acer Palmatum there are many different varients but they all have to be grafted. Trees that are grafted in this manner typically will never make good bonsai. You could airlayer it above the graft line but that will set you back 2-3 years at least in its development.

Just bought Acer Palmatum Shaina, Japanese Maple 6 years 11 months ago #30898

• Bonsai Bender
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 70
Here is what I was talking about.

This message has an attachment image.

Just bought Acer Palmatum Shaina, Japanese Maple 6 years 11 months ago #30920

• The
  • The's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thank you very much for your advice! ;)
I read about airlayer so i can practice it finally lol. So if i got it right, i should do it in place marked with blue color, cut off those two branches under it (red color) and leave it live it's life for about 2 months according to my book and then repot it? ;) I would prefer double tree trunk but there are 3 branches, one main trunk and two second branches, would you recommend to cut off one of them to create my idea, or it is not recommended for this type of acer palmatum or something? I know it will be work for years to make it beautiful but it is good way to learn patience i think ;D I am glad I have other better looking bonsai trees to look at in the meanwhile lol.

This message has attachments images.

Just bought Acer Palmatum Shaina, Japanese Maple 6 years 11 months ago #30921

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
I would not cut the branches below it. Those will kee feeding the roots, and therefor you will have a plant from the roots later too.

The books seems to take away an awfull lot of bark. I do not do this. Normally I take a ring of bark as wide as the branch is thick.

How long it takes to root varies a lot. You should be able to get rooting on a young AP within a few weeks. I have had 18 months with a deshojo once though.
You do not need to cut away at the wood. Just remove the bark, make sure you scratch all the shiny stuff off. If you leave the wound to dry for 10 minutes you will see that places where you have not cleaned well enough, turn brown. Make sure the cutline on top is sharp and clean. This is where new roots will form.

• Page: