Applying Bonsai Technique to Larger Trees

• Gnarlwood
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 21

Applying Bonsai Technique to Larger Trees was created by Gnarlwood

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #7807
Does anyone believe that some of the techniques of bonsai could be applied to larger trees when they're being pruned?

I think some of these methods can and should be used when pruning larger trees. For example: concave cuts are generally used on trees that create unsightly scars. This is very evident with Spruce because you get a large knob that looks awful. Traditionally when pruning large trees like spruce these knobs are left and the pruner just accepts that scarring is going to happen. However, when we prune a bonsai a good concave cut with some paste allows the tree to heal in a more aesthetic manner. This same technique of concave cuts can be applied to most trees. Therefore, why not use the method on larger ones. Perhaps more time would be needed or different equipment, but in the end wouldn't it yield a healthier looking tree free of obvious scarring?

I would like to hear your opinion. Feel free to suggest a bonsai technique that you believe would benefit larger trees.
by Gnarlwood

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Applying Bonsai Technique to Larger Trees

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #7811
I doubt many people would care.. The work needed to make a hollow cut is fairly big when applying it to bigger trees. And I have never heard anyone compain how ugly the cut-of sections look after timming.
by leatherback

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Applying Bonsai Technique to Larger Trees

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #7821
the japanese, i am not sure of chinese, grow "garden trees" which are styled much like bonsai but are growing in the ground. do an image search of "japanese garden trees" the pics are amazing. i am planning to start styling a pear tree in my yard this spring...lots of airlayers B)
by manofthetrees

• Gnarlwood
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 21

Replied by Gnarlwood on topic Applying Bonsai Technique to Larger Trees

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #7828
I personally have seen pruned trees and some look awful. Their all scarred, knobby, and barren. Granted they were done poorly but wouldnt some bonsai techniques make them look a little nicer?

Realistically, the process would take longer and a whole new method of pruning would need developed.
by Gnarlwood

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Applying Bonsai Technique to Larger Trees

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #7835
pruning would be much the same,but wireing is not feasable .i have seen rocks tied to branches to bend them and guide wires used tho
by manofthetrees