• Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Moss landscapes

Moss landscapes 3 years 5 months ago #13893

Hi,

I've been growing moss for many years now but in isolation so I've launched a kickstarter campaign and now joining a few forums to connect with some other moss fans.

Its taken me quite a while to prefect the growing technique and learn about the different species (there are over 20 growing in this coffee table) as well as the environmental controls needed to keep them safe.

I'd love to hear your feedback and more than happy to answer any questions :)

Heres a link with more details and images, videos, etc.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/319087008/e...-forest-moss-gardens




This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chuah
  • engwerda
  • engwerda's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 8
  • Thank you received: 2

Moss landscapes 3 years 5 months ago #13895

That is amazing :D you're the only guy i know know that grows moss ;) . Question: do you grow moss as a hobby or buisiness type thing.
  • bob
  • bob's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • “Little by little, one travels far”-JRR Tolkien
  • Posts: 1097
  • Thank you received: 174
One pot, one tree, one litre of akadama and one gallon of water. A bowl for stationary. Fire for the fireplace. A way to get my petrol spillages off the floor. Water for my computer.

Moss landscapes 3 years 5 months ago #13896

:) That is very cool, and quite amazing. I have a small patch of moss growing beside one of my sticks and apart from water I have no idea what makes it grow or thrive. I scrapped it off the side of some concrete blocks under a pool heater and it seems to be surviving through sheer luck. I look forward to reading your future posts. Good luck with the kick starter.

Cheers
Robbie
  • Judgetribe
  • Judgetribe's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
  • 1969
  • Posts: 38
  • Thank you received: 5
Life is a Game
Happy People are the Players
Unhappy People are the Spectators
Which Would You Like to Be?

Moss landscapes 3 years 5 months ago #13897

Thanks Bob :)

I'm the only guy I know that grows moss too lol.

Its purely a hobby and has been for many years, But I just keep wanting to take it further and further so hence my kickstarter campaign to raise funds to make more elaborate works as unfortunately the scale and grandiosity of my ideas exceeds my current funds :/

I just really like making these landscapes, you can get lost in them for hours...
  • engwerda
  • engwerda's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 8
  • Thank you received: 2

Moss landscapes 3 years 5 months ago #13898

Thanks Robbie,

That's how it started for me too, then came years of punishing experimentation to figure it out a bit more deeply.

I've learnt to pay close attention to where the moss comes from and try and use it in a specific part of each landscape where conditions are similar, so watching the light, how close it is to a fog vent, surrounding species, whether or not it has a substrate below it, etc.

I'm starting to get into bonsai now and have some wysteria growing but its very hard to match the requirements of both, specifically with some of the more beautiful mosses.

Thanks for your support!

Josh
  • engwerda
  • engwerda's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 8
  • Thank you received: 2

Moss landscapes 3 years 5 months ago #13899

My moss is outside and grows well. I have a lot around my trees especially the groups on slabs.
  • m5eaygeoff
  • m5eaygeoff's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 1323
  • Thank you received: 278

Moss landscapes 3 years 5 months ago #13901

engwerda wrote: I've been growing moss for many years now but in isolation so I've launched a kickstarter campaign and now joining a few forums to connect with some other moss fans.

I'd love to hear your feedback and more than happy to answer any questions :)

Heres a link with more details and images, videos, etc.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/319087008/e...-forest-moss-gardens


Just came from your site... That is one awesome work you´ve done with moss... I have a tray where I cultivate it myself in order to use it as a cover for my trees, but nothing even close to this... It is simple amazing. Here is a link to it: www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/basic-techniques/7020-moss-care

Oh, and good luck with your campaign, raising funds can be frustrating but I think your project might come to a happy conclusion...

Alain
  • alainleon1983
  • alainleon1983's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 676
  • Thank you received: 172

Moss landscapes 3 years 5 months ago #13903

alainleon1983 wrote:

engwerda wrote: I've been growing moss for many years now but in isolation so I've launched a kickstarter campaign and now joining a few forums to connect with some other moss fans.

I'd love to hear your feedback and more than happy to answer any questions :)

Heres a link with more details and images, videos, etc.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/319087008/e...-forest-moss-gardens


Just came from your site... That is one awesome work you´ve done with moss... I have a tray where I cultivate it myself in order to use it as a cover for my trees, but nothing even close to this... It is simple amazing. Here is a link to it: www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/basic-techniques/7020-moss-care

Oh, and good luck with your campaign, raising funds can be frustrating but I think your project might come to a happy conclusion...

Alain


Thanks Alain,

I had a read through your thread, the moss looks pretty nice! that would fill out if you left it for ages, but as the person after said what you could do is: Fill the gaps with the same substrate as the moss is on and then, using nail scissors, trim the moss slightly and use those cuttings to fill in the gaps. I'd even be tempted to dry some of the soil out (if its mainly clay which it looks to be) and sprinkle that VERY lightly over the top and then re-mist. If the cuttings are 'partially buried' (which with small cutting is only a mm or so) the propagation rate will improve. If you keep a few bits separate in case you need them for your bonsai, the wait on the rest of the moss will be well worth it, if environmental conditions remain good for you.

I've found this a very successful way of using established moss but also having it blend in nicely with newer moss. I have a few areas like this on my current table.


yeah fundraising is painful and I go in with low expectations but regardless it will be a good chance to see what people think and its forced me out of the shadows so thats a good thing :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: alainleon1983
  • engwerda
  • engwerda's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 8
  • Thank you received: 2

Moss landscapes 3 years 5 months ago #13907

engwerda wrote: Hi,

I've been growing moss for many years now but in isolation so I've launched a kickstarter campaign and now joining a few forums to connect with some other moss fans.


I've seen moss gardens long ago, at a bonsai exhibition. The creator made tiny hills with moss and tiny white paths through them... it looked wonderful. I think there are more bonsai-growers that grow moss, like I do (on a small scale though, and not very succesfully)

I'd love to hear your feedback and more than happy to answer any questions


Tell us all about how to properly grow moss :)

I have one small bonsai pot in which mos grows really well. I think that is because, unlike in my other pots, it covers the full surface - so there's not as much water that can evaporate, keeping the moss more moist. Could that be the case?

What other tips can you give us ?
  • Auk
  • Auk's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 4390
  • Thank you received: 1067

Moss landscapes 3 years 5 months ago #13914

engwerda wrote: what you could do is: Fill the gaps with the same substrate as the moss is on and then, using nail scissors, trim the moss slightly and use those cuttings to fill in the gaps. I'd even be tempted to dry some of the soil out (if its mainly clay which it looks to be) and sprinkle that VERY lightly over the top and then re-mist. If the cuttings are 'partially buried' (which with small cutting is only a mm or so) the propagation rate will improve. If you keep a few bits separate in case you need them for your bonsai, the wait on the rest of the moss will be well worth it, if environmental conditions remain good for you.


Thanks man... That is one thorough guide. I´ll try to do as you say.

Now, the good thing about my moss, is that since winter is almost here, it remains green all of the time without even watering it in a week or so... It´s remarkable... In summer it only takes a day at the most for the moss to start turning brown (I live in a very hot weather in summer).

Alain
  • alainleon1983
  • alainleon1983's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 676
  • Thank you received: 172
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Log in Register