Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

walmart bonsai 6 years 8 months ago #34162

• MarcusSan
  • MarcusSan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
i've just bought a new walmart bonsai in a pot that was made for it, with moss and rock assortment, I think it's a Fukien tea and need to know if i should re-pot or re-soil it for best results. i'm new to bonsai and not sure.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

walmart bonsai 6 years 8 months ago #34163

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
I don't think it was a smart buy. Just the huge reverse taper would have made it unsuitable for bonsai, but on top of that, the fake moss, the pebbles, probably the soil and the "S" curve created in China in thousands of similar Fukien tea trees all scream "I am not a bonsai".
Even if you chop the trunk in the first curve, it will take years of training to probably make it an ok bonsai, not a good bonsai.
It's usually safer to pay a little more, research beforehand a species suitable to your climate, and buy it from a reputable bonsai nursery.
Sorry for being so blunt, but it's true. I hope you have paid little money for this plant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MarcusSan

walmart bonsai 6 years 8 months ago #34181

• Travi51
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 35
He did, there only $15 bucks or so. My wife bought me one for father's day. They may not look great as bonsai but could be a great counter top plant in your kitchen or were ever. They produce little white flowers and need a lot of sun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MarcusSan

• Page: