To repot or not...

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.

To repot or not... was created by amanda1721

Posted 6 years 9 months ago #34819
Hello, newbie here...

I have had a bonsai tree (I think a common boxwood) in my care for four days! I have noticed that its roots have grown beyond the confinement of its pot. I've read the repotting is best done in spring as that's towards the end of the dormancy stage. But, I'm not sure if that would be the best option as it would mean waiting until winter had passed? I have also noticed that the roots don't
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
appear very strong as nearly half of the soil has separated from the other half.

Any help and advice much be much appreciated. Pictures attached.
by amanda1721

This message has attachments images.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by Marcei on topic To repot or not...

Posted 6 years 7 months ago #35375
Hello,

Yes it seems your bonsai needs repotting. But it is suggested to do in early spring. I am not an expert myself, but saw noone replied. So I wanted to share what I learned from this forum.
by Marcei

To repot or not... - Bonsai forum

Bonsai forum

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic To repot or not...

Posted 6 years 7 months ago #35376
This plant is fine. Re potting is best done in spring not now. Just because a few roots are comomg out of the bottom it is not a problem.
by m5eaygeoff

Replied by tubaboy on topic To repot or not...

Posted 6 years 7 months ago #35385
Just for clarification, repotting in Bonsai jargon means to sort and cut the roots (according to tree type) for various reasons. It would be possible to slip pot this tree without doing anything to the roots into a larger container, to allow for more space for the roots. It looks like they may be wrapped pretty tight, but the plant looks healthy enough, and if it is still growing, waiting till the right time to do a repot is best.

I had a privet that had stopped growing because it was rootbound, and I slip potted it into a larger pot, and now it has new shoots everywhere, just to give you an idea when a repot out of season would be needed.
by tubaboy

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic To repot or not...

Posted 6 years 7 months ago #35386
Yes it does and yes you can
by m5eaygeoff