Bonsai forum

Should I repot my Ficus Ginseng?

• xanchez
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Should I repot my Ficus Ginseng? was created by xanchez

Posted 6 years 6 months ago #36009
Hello, recently I bought a Ficus Ginseng from Ikea. However, when I first got it, the soil was completely dry and some leaves were yellow. I've had the plant for about a week now and the leaves are now all green and the soil is no longer dry because I've been watering it. My problem is the pot the plant comes with. It has no drainage holes and I can tell that the soil is very cheap as when I water the ficus, most of the water goes to the bottom of the pot. I read online that repotting for bonsai should be done in the spring, but since the pot is horrible, should I change it now in the fall?
by xanchez

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Should I repot my Ficus Ginseng?

Posted 6 years 6 months ago #36011

xanchez wrote: Hello, recently I bought a Ficus Ginseng from Ikea. However, when I first got it, the soil was completely dry and some leaves were yellow. I've had the plant for about a week now and the leaves are now all green and the soil is no longer dry because I've been watering it. My problem is the pot the plant comes with. It has no drainage holes and I can tell that the soil is very cheap as when I water the ficus, most of the water goes to the bottom of the pot. I read online that repotting for bonsai

Ikea does not sell bonsai.

should be done in the spring, but since the pot is horrible, should I change it now in the fall?

This applies to bonsai, and specifically bonsai that are kept outdoors. It does not apply for houseplants; you can repot it anytime. However, You may want to wait until you are sure it is really healthy.
by Auk

• xanchez
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by xanchez on topic Should I repot my Ficus Ginseng?

Posted 6 years 6 months ago #36021
I know many people do not consider the ficus ginseng on being a bonsai, but if you search up "ficus microcarpa ginseng" on google, one of the top searches has 'ikea' at the end of it. Maybe they just don't sell them in the ikea where you live. Also, I didn't realize that for indoor bonsai you could repot it at any time, so thank you.
by xanchez

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Should I repot my Ficus Ginseng?

Posted 6 years 6 months ago #36029

xanchez wrote: I know many people do not consider the ficus ginseng on being a bonsai, but if you search up "ficus microcarpa ginseng" on google, one of the top searches has 'ikea' at the end of it.

I'm not sure what that is supposed to prove?

Maybe they just don't sell them in the ikea where you live. Also, I didn't realize that for indoor bonsai you could repot it at any time, so thank you.

Yes, the Ikeas in my neighborhood does sell these plants. They are not bonsai.
by Auk