• Page:

TOPIC: JBP in nursery pot

JBP in nursery pot 4 months 4 days ago #36036

I picked up this JBP at the Carolina Bonsai Expo over the weekend. It's still in the nursery pot and in the spring I'll need to put it into a training pot. I'm seeking some advice on how much of the roots I can cut off when I do it. I've been researching and will continue to do so...but the more advice I get the better. Thanks

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• jimib
  • jimib's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3

JBP in nursery pot 4 months 2 days ago #36049

Good Find! I hope you had a good time at the Expo. The Trees this year were a little disappointing to me. Overall majority of them were good to great but there were some I wanted to throw a blanket over so no one would see it.

bonsaitonight.com/2011/04/22/how-to-repo...e-black-pine-1-of-2/
  • Bonsai Bender
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Me Chicken, You Chicken, No Bonsai - John Naka
  • Thank you received: 70

JBP in nursery pot 4 months 12 hours ago #36063

We'd been planning a trip down there for some time. As it worked out I was able to get there during the weekend the expo was going on. It was first show that I've been to other than the local club show here where I live. I did see one tree that made me look twice and wonder but overall I thought pretty impressive to my novice eye. Thanks for the link !
  • jimib

JBP in nursery pot 3 months 4 weeks ago #36073

jimib wrote: I'm seeking some advice on how much of the roots I can cut off when I do it

Up to one third - but you may want to take a more cautious approach. Seems the tree is in a high pot, you should not try to get it in a shallow bonsai pot right away - but reduce the roots over the course of a few years. Depends also on what you find, how big the roots are, how deep they go, if they are long and winding...
  • Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 968

JBP in nursery pot 3 months 4 weeks ago #36074

Thanks Auk...that's what I was looking for. I have no intention on putting it in a shallow pot...I'm tired of killing trees due to being impatient. I plan on taking my time with it.
  • jimib
  • Page: