Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

JBP in nursery pot 6 years 5 months ago #36036

• jimib
  • jimib's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3
I picked up this JBP at the Carolina Bonsai Expo over the weekend. It's still in the nursery pot and in the spring I'll need to put it into a training pot. I'm seeking some advice on how much of the roots I can cut off when I do it. I've been researching and will continue to do so...but the more advice I get the better. Thanks

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

JBP in nursery pot 6 years 5 months ago #36049

• Bonsai Bender
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 70
Good Find! I hope you had a good time at the Expo. The Trees this year were a little disappointing to me. Overall majority of them were good to great but there were some I wanted to throw a blanket over so no one would see it.

bonsaitonight.com/2011/04/22/how-to-repo...e-black-pine-1-of-2/

JBP in nursery pot 6 years 5 months ago #36063

• jimib
We'd been planning a trip down there for some time. As it worked out I was able to get there during the weekend the expo was going on. It was first show that I've been to other than the local club show here where I live. I did see one tree that made me look twice and wonder but overall I thought pretty impressive to my novice eye. Thanks for the link !

JBP in nursery pot 6 years 5 months ago #36073

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I'm seeking some advice on how much of the roots I can cut off when I do it

Up to one third - but you may want to take a more cautious approach. Seems the tree is in a high pot, you should not try to get it in a shallow bonsai pot right away - but reduce the roots over the course of a few years. Depends also on what you find, how big the roots are, how deep they go, if they are long and winding...

JBP in nursery pot 6 years 5 months ago #36074

• jimib
Thanks Auk...that's what I was looking for. I have no intention on putting it in a shallow pot...I'm tired of killing trees due to being impatient. I plan on taking my time with it.

JBP in nursery pot 6 years 3 weeks ago #38140

• jimib
It's getting about time to repot this JBP. I have one more question. We're going to be experiencing below freezing temperatures at night for another couple of weeks. Should I hold off, or should I just put it in unheated garage? It's in an unheated greenhouse now. I believe I should prevent the roots from freezing after repotting is that correct?

• Page: