TOPIC:

Pine from my forrest 6 years 1 month ago #37937

• Bonsaimabeginner
  • Bonsaimabeginner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello,
After learning a little more about this art form I decided to go collect a sapling from behind my house. I didnt know what I was looking for in a possible bonsai but eventualy settled on this little guy. Im from New York and I know this is a pine I'm just not sure of the specific species. Can someone please give me some advice as to what to do now? How old does this look? Ill re-pot it obviously but is does it look like a good candidate for a bonsai? Should I start to prune it now at all? Thank you for any help ladies and gents.
Aaron

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pine from my forrest 6 years 1 month ago #37943

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 113
You should read more.

Pine from my forrest 6 years 1 month ago #37945

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

After learning a little more about this art form I decided to go collect a sapling from behind my house. I didnt know what I was looking for in a possible bonsai

In a possible bonsai you are looking for good nebari - a good root flare with nicely placed, tapering roots, a fat and tapering trunk, proper branch placement with tapering branches that are ramified into secundairy and tertiary branches. You will be looking for a tree that looks like it has battled the elements for ages and has survived, showing the signs of that struggle and giving an impression of a high age and maturity.

Indeed these all are characteristics you will not find in a sapling and the question makes no sense whatsoever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crent89

Last edit: Post by Auk.
  • Page: