Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

How much of the roots can I prune? 5 years 11 months ago #39421

• Ablum
  • Ablum's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I have a Japanese maple mikawa yatsubusa. It was purchased in a large container from standard nursery garden. I have read all winter about how much of the roots to prune this spring, and it’s about time to do the procedure. I wanted to get some real world experience/advice about taking a nursery maple to bonsai and how much I could reduce the root ball at once? Please let me know. I have attached an image it’s the large maple in the black container.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How much of the roots can I prune? 5 years 11 months ago #39422

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185
Hi there,

Typically, it depends. Generally Arce Palmatum are not very fond of being root pruned, but if in good health they can be very tolerant to this technique. To be in the safe side I´d say no more than a 50% root pruning.

Now taking it into the real world... I have a Palmatum myself that more than a month ago I transplanted it from a training pot into his first relatively small "Bonsai pot". In order to make it fit into such pot I trimmed approximately 75% of the root mass. And now there it is... It has sprouted all over the place and it seems as vigorous as it always has been.

The only concern that is still puzzling me is when the hot summer arrives. Usually with this tree I only had a couple of leaves scorched due to the high heat of this time of the year... That good it was its root system. Now, I´m not sure that at least for this growing season I won´t have leaves scorching all over the place. I´m keeping my fingers crossed.

Alain.

How much of the roots can I prune? 5 years 11 months ago #39426

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Nice tree!
30% of the rootball to be in the conservative side.
50% to risk it a little.
75% with prayers.

• Page: