Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Repotting Podocarpus Macrophyllus 5 years 10 months ago #39649

• Røng
  • Røng's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 10
Hey everybody,

I am planning on repotting my Buddhist Pine bonsai in two weeks and I did a bit of research on the type of soil my tree needs. As I searched through some various websites I've found out that the best mixture should consist of well draining and acidic soil. However I have a difficult time finding the perfect product or mixture of products as I live in Eastern Europe where bonsai is not a practiced art so I am going to order my products from the Netherlands. I would be very appreciated if you could give me some tips on what the soil or mixture of soils should my final result consist of. I will also attach a link with an interesting type of soil I found but I am not sure if is what I need or if i should mix it with other soil. A photo of my bonsai and the future pot will also be added.
www.bonsaishop.nl/grond/grondsoorten/kan...nsai-aarde-2-5-liter (the link to the Kanuma bonsai earth)

Thank you in advance for taking your time to read my post and for trying to help me out !

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Repotting Podocarpus Macrophyllus 5 years 10 months ago #39651

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Nice pot!
A fast draining soil, mostly inorganic is what you need.
Not Kanuma specifically.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Røng

Repotting Podocarpus Macrophyllus 5 years 10 months ago #39667

• Røng
Thank you so much for the piece of advice Clicio! On the other hand, do I need a mixture of soils and ingredients or simply one soil and that's it? Also could you help me with a name for it/them? Maybe the universal name would come in handy when undergoing my purchasing process.

Repotting Podocarpus Macrophyllus 5 years 10 months ago #39682

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 113
Where in Eastern Europe?

Repotting Podocarpus Macrophyllus 5 years 10 months ago #39683

• Røng
Spacewood, in Romania, Bucharest

Repotting Podocarpus Macrophyllus 5 years 10 months ago #39687

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Spacewood, in Romania, Bucharest

Nice! Sofia, Bulgaria here. We dont have any Bonsai clubs in the country and community is very tiny here. How is it in Romania?

Repotting Podocarpus Macrophyllus 5 years 10 months ago #39688

• Røng
Ah zdrasti! Personally my best friends are Bulgarians ( 5 of them ) and I have been visiting them in Sofia countless times. I absolutely love Bulgaria and Bulgarian people even more than Romania... Well we don't have any bonsai clubs nor experts as far as I know. I did talk with the owner of the shop where I bought my bonsai from and he has some knowledge in bonsai but his business is not focusing on this art. I am having a difficult time right now because I want to repot my Podocarpus Macrophyllus tree and I don't know what kind of mixture I need. I am 100% sure i will not be able to find all the soils in Romania so I have to order from Netherlands until tomorrow morning the latest. Also I would love to acquire a new buddy for my bonsai but I don't really find what I want in Romania for instance the Chinese Pepper Bonsai. It is hard because I would love to gain knowledge in this field and be able to build my own "Goshin" but Eastern Europe strikes again...
The following user(s) said Thank You: spacewood

Repotting Podocarpus Macrophyllus 5 years 10 months ago #39690

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
In Romania you have some of the best collection possibilities for raw material. Do not get trapped in what you cannot get. Work with what you can. You have great mountain ranges. Go out, and collect goodmaterial.

As for substrate, it is not rocket science and your plant cares less than you might think.www.growingbonsai.net/characteristics-of-good-bonsai-substrate/

Repotting Podocarpus Macrophyllus 5 years 10 months ago #39692

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
And we love Romania too! Though, I never been in Bucharest but all my friends say its a great city so I should visit one day.

@LB - We have awesome mountains and nature too. Yesterday I was out in the wild and saw so many trees waiting to get out and be made into Bonsai : )

Repotting Podocarpus Macrophyllus 5 years 10 months ago #39694

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

@LB - We have awesome mountains and nature too. Yesterday I was out in the wild and saw so many trees waiting to get out and be made into Bonsai : )

Haha, Perhaps. But I have only been to Sofia, so I do not really know Bulgaria. My wife however was born in Rumania, so I have been there a few times.

I guess you should organize an expidition for us poor saps in areas where there is no true collecting :)

• Page: