Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Crabapple disaster Repot or wait? 5 years 11 months ago #39941

• mplishka
  • mplishka's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hey all,
The winter didn't seem particularly harsh up here, but almost all trees took a hit. Unfortunately deer came into the bonsai area and started stripping bark and branches off of trees leaving a mangled and effectively girdled crabapple. I cut it back to keep it from bleeding to death once Spring came (tried rooting the few salvageable chunks but no dice) and put cut paste on the stumps but still am not seeing shoots of any type this spring. One root near the surface seems to have new root growth but I'm concerned that the pot (I intended to repot this year) drainage, which was well balanced when there was a tree with leaves and it took up water in the fall, now doesn't seem to dry out quick enough and is staying quite damp. I don't want the roots to start rotting and I'd like to give the root system a fighting chance to drive some buds out. What would you recommend? I'm particularly fond of this as it started as an air-layer from a crabapple I climbed and played upon as a child. I was hoping to re-layer some branches for my brothers eventually but now I just want to save the tree. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!!!
~Peace~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Crabapple disaster Repot or wait? 5 years 11 months ago #39943

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Hi, MPLishka;
As I have already told you in another forum:

"Hi, welcome!
Perhaps if you update your profile with your location, and post some pictures of the problem, it could be easier to find precise answers, I guess."

Clicio

Crabapple disaster Repot or wait? 5 years 11 months ago #39946

• mplishka
  • mplishka's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thank you!

There are no pictures. Just a stump with roots.

I'm still trying to figure out how to update the profile.

Thx

Crabapple disaster Repot or wait? 5 years 11 months ago #39947

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
It will survive, we all hope.
:-)

Crabapple disaster Repot or wait? 5 years 11 months ago #39956

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Give it time.
That is really the only real advice. Go carefull on the watering as it is just not using so much water. Tree roots do not start rotting out of the blue. They need to die first, which usually is the result of harsh circumstances (Soaking wet for a long period, completely dry out, deep frost).

The worst thing to do is fiddle with it. Make sure the plant is in a neglected part of your garden/bench and just let it be. Water when needed. Growing new buds is hard for a tree, especially if the bark is older. It can take weeks to months.

• Page: