Bonsai forum

potting JRM for thickening

• BlackValorInc
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

potting JRM for thickening was created by BlackValorInc

Posted 5 years 11 months ago #39953
So I have regained my interest in bonsai and really started doing my research this time, although I am still pretty new. I have read all kinds of articles and ways to thicken up trunks relatively quickly. So my strategy now is to take my tree from the 1 gallon pot it is in and put it in at least a 5-10 gallon pot (I dont have a spot to put it in the ground) and maybe put a terra cotta tile under it to get the roots to spread flat. Then use sacrifice branches and the alternating leader technique to grow the trunk out. Correct me if Im wrong in this strategy. My other question is: I just bought this plant from the nursery in the 1 gallon pot but it seems very unstable in its pot which makes me think that this is a new pot for the tree (maybe it was previously in the ground?). Since this seems like a new pot I am reluctant to put it in a bigger pot and shock the system a second time. Should I wait til next spring? Slip pot? One Last question and prolly a dumb one: for growing the tree in a big pot should i start it right now in an akadama mixture or just go with soil from outside and some pumice/scoria to help it drain better?
by BlackValorInc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 113

Replied by spacewood on topic potting JRM for thickening

Posted 5 years 11 months ago #39966
I would go on the safe side and wait some time before repot, unless there is critical condition that requires urgent repot. Posting pictures on your trees is always a good plus. Good luck.
by spacewood
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackValorInc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.