Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Citrus Bonsai 5 years 11 months ago #40034

• Dkluch
  • Dkluch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hi All,

I was just given a 50 year old citrus (tangerine) tree from my grandma. Has been grown indoors, in a very large pot for most of its life. It has probably not been repotted in over 10 years. I live in Ohio (USA Zone 6). I know that winters it will need to be indoors and could possibly be kept outdoors in the warmth of summer. I am about to tackle a repot. it has such a massive root ball that I am going to have to build a wooden grow box to fit the tree for now. I will reduce the roots as far as It feels right without risking hurting the tree. I would like to use sifted diatomaceous earth as the main soil ingredient. I also plan to use pine bark and possibly some peat moss. I have had problems with peat moss causing drainage problems in the past so I am not sure yet.

Please give me any advice you have with citrus and soil choice!

Thank you,
-Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Citrus Bonsai 5 years 10 months ago #40514

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

... I am going to have to build a wooden grow box to fit the tree for now. I will reduce the roots as far as It feels right without risking hurting the tree. I would like to use sifted diatomaceous earth as the main soil ingredient. I also plan to use pine bark and possibly some peat moss.

Sounds like a good plan, except fot the Peat Moss.
Keep us posted on the progression!

Citrus Bonsai 5 years 10 months ago #40517

• Dkluch
  • Dkluch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

• Page: