Bonsai forum

Japanese Elm

• JacobA
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Japanese Elm was created by JacobA

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42218
Hi guys,

Just bought a 20y Japanese Elm - large ramification which I've started to prune back and wire into shape. However the previous owner had the tree standing in a nursery pot with primarily pumice, which dried out fast.

Being in July and in Denmark where the weather has been very sunny and expected to continue, should I repot into my preferred mix of Akadama/Pumice/Lava, should I "semi-repot" by just adding a bit of Akadama to the current mix or should I wait to next year?

The tree is fairly healthy, but has some yellow leaves and semi-yellow leaves in the edges.

Let me know if you guys need any more info. Thanks!! :)

/Jacob
by JacobA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic Japanese Elm

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42219
Hello, a picture would be nice.
Lava/Pumice/Akadama is the classic modern mix; don't "semi-repot", go for the full repotting as the slip potting is almost as stressful for the tree as the full repotting.
by Clicio
The following user(s) said Thank You: JacobA

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Japanese Elm

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42220
I would not repot now. I would wait till spring. Just put the tree in a less sunny spot. And this heatwave/draught will eventually break. But untill that happens, repotting is anevenlarger risk than leaving it where it is.

Just water enough (I have a few trees now that have a shallow (1cm) tray with water to ensure the tree does not dry out completely on these hot windy days)
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: JacobA