Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Repotting Pines 5 years 8 months ago #43667

• Darkwolf
  • Darkwolf's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi once again. So Autumn is coming soon in New York and am going to be repotting my Juniper "Procumbens Nana". The soils that I have are Akadama, Lava rock. Is that good enough or use i add something else? Let me know
Thanks
Juan A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Repotting Pines 5 years 8 months ago #43668

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Best time to repot a juniper isn't in the beginning of Spring? When buds start to push?
Here in the tropics I would use Akadama, Lava and pine bark+charcoal, but this is just me.
;)

Last edit: Post by Clicio.

Repotting Pines 5 years 8 months ago #43669

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
The unanswered question:
Is a Juniper a Pine?

Repotting Pines 5 years 8 months ago #43670

• leroycoutts
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 25

The unanswered question:
Is a Juniper a Pine?

Wikipedia says NO!!! they belong to the Cypress family :)

Repotting Pines 5 years 8 months ago #43673

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I personally do not like akadama. I live in a region where we can get frost - thaw cycles of a week or so, for several weeks. If this happens I have only brown sludge in my pots at the end of winter.So I went a different route: www.growingbonsai.net/characteristics-of-good-bonsai-substrate/

Pines and junipers both belong to conifers, I would say.

Repotting in fall is also an option Clicio. In fact I have 2 junipers that I need to do some work on, and I have been considering using the next couple of weeks to do this. Assuming moist fall conditions, trees get a chance to regrow roots and establish themselves before winter. It is a bit of a risk, as you are not certain when winter will hit, and sometimes summer ends with a flashbang of heat and dry winds. Which is why I normally prefer the early spring repotting. Yet, for the anxious, impatient under us, such as me.. Yeah, late summer / early fall repotting of junipers is not unheard of.

I am still not sure I will do it. I have in the past. But now I need to repot a very good tree, into the first bonsai pot requireing substrantial root work. I do not want to loose this tree. And with me handing over tree-care again soon to my wife due to work travels...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

• Page: