Bonsai forum

Bonsai seed kit - Repot

• romanocarv
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Bonsai seed kit - Repot was created by romanocarv

Posted 5 years 7 months ago #44324
Hello guys,

i got a bonsai seeds kit as a gift last mnth. It is my first time growing them.

The seeds are: Mimosa Pudica, Pinus Silvestris, Jacaranda Mimosifolia and Eucalyptus Globulus.

It's been 3 weeks now since i planted them. They are all growing and looking nice.

Now i am not sure when to first repot them. They came with a eco-friendly pot which is really soft and small. How long should i wait until i can repot them in a original bonsai pot? I also can't find any information on pot size for sproutlings. Would 10 x 8 x 5 cm be enough or should i go for something bigger? they are also a lot of sproutlings in each pot. Is it ok to keep them together?

Thank you in advance.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
by romanocarv

This message has an attachment image.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stella24
  • Thanks received: 4

Replied by Stella24 on topic Bonsai seed kit - Repot

Posted 5 years 7 months ago #44326
they look nice.

plant them in a training pot so they have lots of space to grow.
they will grow very very slowly in a bonsai pot
by Stella24

• romanocarv
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by romanocarv on topic Bonsai seed kit - Repot

Posted 5 years 7 months ago #44327

Stella24 wrote: they look nice.

Thanks. But how big should they be? I find training pots of all different sizes. And ist it ok to keep all sprotlings of the same type in one pot?
by romanocarv

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Bonsai seed kit - Repot

Posted 5 years 7 months ago #44328

romanocarv wrote: Hello guys,
i got a bonsai seeds kit as a gift last mnth.

There is no such thing as bonsai seeds. Bonsai seed does not exist.
Having a bonsai kit is like having this:

expecting to be able to create this:

Pretty cool though that your seeds germinated. I recommend to look up each different species and guidelines on how to grow them.
Last Edit:5 years 7 months ago by Auk

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Auk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, crent89

• Stella24

Posted 5 years 7 months ago #44332

romanocarv wrote:

Stella24 wrote: they look nice.

Thanks. But how big should they be? I find training pots of all different sizes. And ist it ok to keep all sprotlings of the same type in one pot?

I would say the bigger the better if you want to put all of them in one pot. the closer they are together, the quicker you will have to replant them. and ideally you do not want to disturb them to much. they need space to grow. I planted some seeds in those plastic nursery bags (small ones). 3 seeds in a bag, with the intention to replant each seedling in its own bag when they reach about 3/4 leaves (probably about 10 cm high).
by Stella24

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic Bonsai seed kit - Repot

Posted 5 years 7 months ago #44333

Stella24 wrote: 3 seeds in a bag, with the intention to replant each seedling in its own bag when they reach about 3/4 leaves (probably about 10 cm high).

Stella, have you already tried with the 3 seeds? Won't the roots be tangled by the time you repot them to individual pots?
I ask because I have a space problem and 500 seeds in the fridge, ready to be sowed.
by Clicio

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Bonsai seed kit - Repot

Posted 5 years 7 months ago #44334
If you look at the pictures in any bonsai site's gallery you will notice that all the good trees are pretty old, at least twenty years and usually more. The one absolutely necessary ingredient there is twenty years, and you probably need fifty to get something awe inspiring. Seeds are not a great way to get bonsai for us hobbyists because we usually aren't that patient. Now you have to separate them all, a lot of finicky work, and then wait for years to get something worth putting in a bonsai pot. No problem if you have those years, but just realize that you won't be showing anything anytime soon.

Rather than spend a lot of money on any kind of pot for them to grow in, try saving to go cups from fast food and other eateries. Cuta hole in the bottom, put some dirt in them, put a seedling in, and line them up.
by Ivan Mann

• Stella24

Posted 5 years 7 months ago #44358

Clicio wrote:

Stella24 wrote: 3 seeds in a bag, with the intention to replant each seedling in its own bag when they reach about 3/4 leaves (probably about 10 cm high).

Stella, have you already tried with the 3 seeds? Won't the roots be tangled by the time you repot them to individual pots?
I ask because I have a space problem and 500 seeds in the fridge, ready to be sowed.

this is my 1st round of seeds that i sowed. i planted about 30 seeds in 11 bags. i have not yet replanted then and think i will do it one by one as the little seedlings get to 10cm. From what i have read, is that you should wait for the little seedling to get a bit stronger, but if you replant at about 10 cm there will not yet be enough roots to get entangled. then the other thing is not all seeds will germinate, so that will also help, so far i have not yet seen 3 seedlings in a single bag.

the other method that i read about is where they plant plenty of seeds close together, but then cut down or pull out the seedlings that looks week or undesirable to end up with only the 2 or 3 with great potential. this method seems to be more popular. with your 500 seeds this might be the easier option for you.

for me i planted 5-10 seeds of each species (planted 5 different ones) so i took the 1st option as i would love every single tree to germinate so i have some extra seedlings to try a few different techniques with and then not be to sad if some of them do not live through the experiment.

another option for you will so many seeds, is seed trays. i tried this as well, but not working for me, because there is so little soil that it dries out way to fast and i'm not home during the warmest time of day so I cannot water them 2 times a day. i'm in Africa, we have very warm summers and going from winter straight to summer with very little spring temperatures - last week it was still cold and very much winter, this week its is already going up to 30 degrees C.
by Stella24
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Bonsai seed kit - Repot

Posted 5 years 7 months ago #44359
I typically plant all seeds in one container, using a loose substrate. If you are ready to transplant, the substrate falls out. If not, I take the whole slab of soil and put it in a large container of water and wiggle the seedlings out.

Seelings, once they have gone from the very first cotylon stage, will have strengt to take a bit of gentlwe handling. And being young, take really well to moderate root reductions.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Stella24