Winter and the great indoors outdoors debate

• Ivan Mann
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Winter and the great indoors outdoors debate was created by Ivan Mann

Posted 5 years 3 months ago #46409
Last year on January 6 I saw leaves sprouting on a couple of trees. William Valvanis in New York recommend root work right away and protect from cold weather.

Last Sunday, January 6, several trees due root had leaves popping out, so I repotted. Lows have been 45F/7C except Wednesday, 27F/-3C, and the forecast is pretty much the same, lows not too cold, with a day or two of what we call real cold, like 24F/-5C.

What guidelines would I use for taking care of the ones with leaves showing? My four options are
leave them outside on the stands, put them on the ground with some shelter from the wind, in the unheated garage, which is attached to the house and probably would get down to 55F/7C, and indoors. Ok, indoors is wrong.

If lows for three days are below freezing, 5-10 above, followed by below, would it be better to leave them inside three nights, or inside, outside, inside? Usually these days are sunny, so outside means sun. In and out means changing physical location, but other than sunlight, the actual temperature change would be about the same.

This weather is common for January and February here, so I can expect it for two months or so.
by Ivan Mann

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Winter and the great indoors outdoors debate

Posted 5 years 3 months ago #46412
THat is really odd. Why are your trees breaking buds? Do you keep them in a sunny spot or even greenhouse? Trees should be fully dormant?

I would not allow the plants to freeze if they have foliage and you have repotted.
by leatherback

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Winter and the great indoors outdoors debate

Posted 5 years 3 months ago #46413
In my view it is too early to start re potting unless you are in a very mild area. You don't seem to be. There is no need to rush into the work. Re potted trees have to be protected from frost for a couple of weeks. There is nothing wrong with sun surely? Continually moving is not a good idea either.
by m5eaygeoff

• Ivan Mann
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Winter and the great indoors outdoors debate

Posted 5 years 3 months ago #46414
In November it was what we call cold, which means wear a jacket. In December it was real cold (sweater and jacket) and the dog's water bowl froze several nights. Then it rained a couple of weeks, every day and almost no sun, then a week of sunshine and no jacket, and the trees must have been confused.

It is not uncommon for azaleas in the yard to bloom in January, when weather is like this. Five years ago, in contrast, three days of below 10F/-12C. You really never know what is going to happen.
by Ivan Mann

• Ivan Mann
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Winter and the great indoors outdoors debate

Posted 5 years 3 months ago #46416
For example, doing yard work, here is an hour old picture.

All the azaleas have a couple of blooms. I hadn't seen them earlier.

Thirteen months ago I took a picture of the front yard covered in snow. 24 hours later it was all gone, and the picture shows no snow at all. Same year, in April, 19F/-6C. Winter is unpredictable.
by Ivan Mann

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Franky
  • Thanks received: 14

Replied by Franky on topic Winter and the great indoors outdoors debate

Posted 5 years 3 months ago #46427
My Chinese Elm has already begun breaking buds, which I was surprised at. I’m looking to update a thread I had going to let you guys know what has been happening. If I can’t find it I’ll start a new one.
by Franky