Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Favorite soil seller? 5 years 1 month ago #47267

• JunAku
  • JunAku's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
I just got back from my first bonsai-a-thon event this weekend and I am super inspired and feeling much more confident to tackle some repotting.
I've mentioned in another post that I have inherited a decent sum of bonsais after my dad passed away. I wanted to make sure each plant gets the appropriate mixture ratio of bonsai soil. Some of the exhibitors at the event mentioned it would be cost efficient and good for each tree if I mixed my own mixture made specifically for each tree.
Wanted to ask if anyone had some favorite online shops or local stores in southern California that sells pumice, akadama, lava rock, etc individually? And what sizes you recommend? Some of my pots range from 10"-26" wide in size. Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Favorite soil seller? 5 years 1 month ago #47272

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Some of my pots range from 10"-26" wide in size. Thanks in advance!

Can't help you with the soil (don't live in CA, and I never order it on line), but can't really help you with the pots either: the size depends on the tree that you're repotting.

Favorite soil seller? 5 years 1 month ago #47285

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
Instead of asking online of people who may not ever have been in Southern Cal, do a google search for bonsai nearby, in particular look for a bonsai group you can join and ask questions like this. Some groups buy large amounts of soil components which they can sell at a decent discount. You get the stuff quickly, no shipping costs, and you get something that group members there think works.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JunAku

Favorite soil seller? 5 years 1 month ago #47295

• Oscar
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thanks received: 291
No problem for asking here! I know Jonas Dupuich does this - if you google his name you might find out more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, JunAku

• Page: