Bonsai forum

Unsure Bonsai Tree Owner - Any tips/soil ideas?

• ah
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Unsure Bonsai Tree Owner - Any tips/soil ideas? was created by ah

Posted 5 years 1 month ago #47675
Hello!

I got my bonsai around two years ago, and believe I should repot it. The roots are wrapped around the bottom of my pot. I have a Ficus Ginseng (Microcarpa) bonsai tree.
I have read that reporting should happen right after the cold season (beginning of spring) for this plant. My first question is... Is now a good time to do this? The recent weather has been in the 30s, and it’s starting to become a high of 40s/50s by next week.
I also read soil should be around pH 6.0 and 6.5. Is this true? I really don’t want to do something wrong and harm my bonsai tree, so what soil should I use?
Another thing; pruning root mass. I am really no expert! Is it necessary?
And finally (I promise), how big of a pot should I use. I will attach some images of my bonsai tree and pot now. However, I did not repot my bonsai tree, I just set the IKEA container into the pot I bought and put sponge underneath. This was not a good idea though, because the roots have grown into the sponge (and this is another reason why I think I should repot it)! Should I just replant it in the blue pot, or should I get a new bigger one?

I am so so sorry for all the questions! I am just really nervous, and don’t want to mess things up. Also, it is sometimes easier to hear information from an ‘interaction’ rather than a website.
Thank you so much! - Bonsai Tree Lover! :)
by ah

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Unsure Bonsai Tree Owner - Any tips/soil ideas?

Posted 5 years 1 month ago #47676

ah wrote: I got my bonsai around two years ago, and believe I should repot it.

The picture you posted is not of a bonsai. Questions about this type of houseplant are asked on a daily basis though, you're questions have been answered multiple times. Try the search feature, and look at the care guidelines, under 'Tree species'. You'll get better replies from people that have experience with this type of plant on forums that deal with houseplants, like this one:

garden.org/forums/view/houseplants/
by Auk
The following user(s) said Thank You: ah

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.