Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Repotting accident 4 years 11 months ago #48345

• smcarmen
  • smcarmen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello. I repotted my parrot's beak yesterday and had a bit of a mishap. The roots had grown into the mesh covering the drainage holes, which I did not realize removing the tree out of the pot, and a large portion of the root system was torn off, I'd say 50%. I am guessing that the tree will die, but is there anything I can do to help save it? It was very healthy beforehand. It did need to be repotted as the roots were growing around the root ball. I do keep the tree inside (it's a tropical and I am in a cold climate) and have had it inside for three years without a problem. I am using this soil: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GSHZLG/ref..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thank you for your help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Repotting accident 4 years 11 months ago #48356

• Anastasia
It depends on the age of your plant. I suggest you to wait and watch. If it start fading you may repot it carefully this time in pure sphagnum. Its well drainage system will carry your plants roots with oxygen. But you need watering in on time! I saw this trick on YouTube channel of ms Peter Chan.

Repotting accident 4 years 10 months ago #49506

• smcarmen
  • smcarmen's Avatar Topic Author
Just an update. The tree did not die. In fact, it has quite a bit of new growth and seems to be doing well overall. However, I am noticing that some of the leaves are yellowing and then dropping. Not all of them, and the new growth remains healthy. It has been six weeks since the repot, and I am wondering if the yellowing is due to stress, even six weeks out. I haven't changed anything in my watering method, so I don't think it's that. Is there anything I should be doing? Thank you!

Repotting accident 4 years 10 months ago #49509

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Hi, Carmen.
If you could post a picture of the tree and the leaves, it would help.
Yellowing leaves is a normal process, most of the time. Plants lose leaves when moved, when in stress, in autumn, too much sun, too little sun, under watering, overwatering... Could be one or some of the factors listed.
But leaves get old, yellow and fall naturally also.

Last edit: Post by Clicio.
  • Page: