• Page:

TOPIC: Look what I did yesterday

Look what I did yesterday 1 week 2 days ago #48438

This is the latest from the backyard. Plantnet thinks it is a European hackberry. Europe is pretty far away and I have seen several of these around, but I can't think what else it is.

The trunk where I chopped it last year has ten growth rings, so it is at least eleven years old. Plan is look at it for a year and then do something artistic. I may cut some twigs off.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Ivan Mann
  • Ivan Mann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 80

Look what I did yesterday 1 week 2 days ago #48439

I probably would put it at ulmus, but not sure.

What I AM sure about.. Plant it deeper so you can improve the nebari over time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ivan Mann
  • leatherback
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1832

Look what I did yesterday 1 week 2 days ago #48451

I am having second thoughts about the soil. I dug up a lot of what was around it, thinking that would be less shock. That seemed smart, but it is in a very low level, and the creek floods that area a lot, so the dirt has a lot of sediment, and that means it holds a lot of water. It rained all night after I dug it up and the soil now is water logged.

I can pull it out and replace the soil with a different mix. Or just plan on watering lightly which doesn't stop the rain from water logging.

One root is showing, but there are two more a little lower covered with dirt in the picture, both just a little bigger. Nebari is going to be great. I am going to cut a little bit more off the top to get a good slanted cut in.
  • Ivan Mann
  • Ivan Mann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 80
  • Page: