Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Repotting? 4 years 10 months ago #49229

• pantastef
  • pantastef's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi everyone,

I bought two young bonsai trees last week, a Dawn Redwood and a Golden Larch. The Dawn Redwood seems already overgrown, the roots are coming out and the main trunk seems to be a bit pushed out. The tree needs pruning as well, but I thought I would make sure it needs to be repotted before I do anything else. Please, can you advise? In case of repotting, how big should the new pot be?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Repotting? 4 years 10 months ago #49232

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Yes it needs repoting
Plenty of roots, bad soil, pot a little too small for a tree in training.
But...
Is this the right time to do a repot in your area? Do you have access to a good soil mix for bonsai? Do you have a new bigger pot? Do you know how to trim the roots, wire the tree to the pot, put on the mesh over the drainage holes, and how to water it afterwards?
If all answers are yes, then go ahead.

Repotting? 4 years 10 months ago #49233

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487

Yes it needs repoting
But...
Is this the right time to do a repot in your area? Do you have access to a good soil mix for bonsai? Do you have a new bigger pot? Do you know how to trim the roots, wire the tree to the pot, put on the mesh over the drainage holes, and how to water it afterwards?

All that, but: if you are planning to keep them indoors you can forget all the above because they will die.

Repotting? 4 years 10 months ago #49274

• pantastef
  • pantastef's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Yes it needs repoting
But...

Thank you for you replay! The answer is yes, good soil is available, and so are bigger pots for bonsai trees. Is it the right time in my area? I would think so, since the weather is finally warming up, here in Cambridge, UK. Do I know how to trim the roots, wire the tree to the pot, put on the mesh over the drainage holes, and how to water it afterwards? I am afraid I do not - I wrote in my introduction that I am a beginner. But I am watching tutorials on a few specialized websites and I am looking for books to read. Would you suggest that I bring it to a specialized nursery?
Thanks!

• Page: