Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Nursery stock repotting - training pots or bonsai pots? 4 years 9 months ago #49734

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

it was this comment that annoyed me. "... so you repotted...

Don't be annoyed, as Luc has said, many countries, many different senses of humor, many translations.
And many rookies asking over and over again the same questions (that is not your case).
:-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Clicio.

Nursery stock repotting - training pots or bonsai pots? 4 years 9 months ago #49739

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

so you repotted, wired and pruned it at the same time? " Plays the funeral march".....

I could have written that, and you can read it in different ways:
- Sarcastic - that's what you saw in it
- Sad. To see yet another tree go.
- Humorous. Trying to be funny
- Compassionate. Feeling sorry for you killing your tree. OK, that's a bit far fetched.

Or just someone trying tell something that has been said countless times. After having written the same reply over and over and over again, it does tend to get a bit boring and repetitive...

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Nursery stock repotting - training pots or bonsai pots? 4 years 9 months ago #49755

• Yorkshire Mike
  • Yorkshire Mike's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
LucR. I do appreciate your help.

Hey, everyone, this is strange and baffling me a little now. I have taken your advice and I'm starting another Juniper by training it very young (i think its 1/2 year old, not real browning on its trunk, it's all mainly green and fresh). However, last night I look at the Bonsai Empire's 'Getting started with Bonsai' course - www.bonsaiempire.com/courses/getting-started - and the guy does a Juniper course.
It seems, how I did mine, and his Juniper is about the same age/height, he repots, prunes, wires and waters all in one go. I watered it differently, and didn't prune enough! Apart from that, it looks like I did it the recommended way.

However, I am going to start with some others, grow them in their nursery (training) pots and see how they progress. Slowly wiring and pruning individually. Nowhere on this bonsai empire courses does it say these steps should be individually done. Again, a mish-mash of advice, but I will take it all! And carry on to try things out.

One more question,
We have lots of maples, and lots of laburnum's. I would like to attempt to bonsai/grow a laburnum. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Nursery stock repotting - training pots or bonsai pots? 4 years 9 months ago #49757

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
Mike your current baffling problem is exact what i was referring to: its just a few of those variables together:
- the tree in the course you watched is a demo tree, just for that purpose. You will see a lot more demos, but not the trees after some time. Apparently a lot of them die afterwards because of the "brutal" work done, but for demo purposes it is done that way. We just cant wait a year for the tree to recover and continue with the demo.
- the people doing those demos know really well what they are doing
- young trees can usually take a bit more than older established trees ( and that also depends on a lot and isnt always true..)
- is the demo done in winter/summer,... whilst you could do just the opposite time frame
- is your tree healthy , vigourous with lots of new growth then it can take a lot more ( in the right season, if you know what you are doing...)
I can keep going on for some time but i think you get the picture
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yorkshire Mike

Last edit: Post by lucR.

Nursery stock repotting - training pots or bonsai pots? 4 years 9 months ago #49758

• Yorkshire Mike
  • Yorkshire Mike's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Ah. that has totally cleared things up!

Same time of year, late spring, early summer. My nursery stock was very healthy, lots of new leafs and branches etc. But yeah...The concept of the demo tree, is kinda just what I needed to hear. I think this tree, may just die. It looks healthy right now, but in time I'm sure it will after what you've said. I will cater for the other trees differently. Doing the process slowly, and maybe buying several more to practice with. Mature junipers in the gardens and parks grown around where I live take the beating of some horrendous weather. So I maybe lucky, it might live! Thanks LucR.