"Superfly Bonsai" Soil Mixture: Good Soil?

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.
4 years 10 months ago #49671 by BAnne16
I'm trying to find a good soil mixture for my Needle Juniper Bonsai. I found one by Superfly Bonsai that is 1/3 Hard Japanese Akadama,1/3 Japanese Pumice, 1/3 USA Sourced Black Lava with Horticultural Charcoal & Haydite. It was stated on this website that the recommended soil for Coniferous/Pine Bonsai soil is 1/3 academia, pumice, and lava rock so I thought the Superfly soil seemed to meet the expectations of good soil for my Juniper. Any opinions and/or advise would be greatly appreciated! :)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.
4 years 10 months ago #49722 by Clicio
Replied by Clicio on topic "Superfly Bonsai" Soil Mixture: Good Soil?
Looks very good, and the mix is appropriate for conifers.
I think it can be used with no issues.
:-)
"Superfly Bonsai" Soil Mixture: Good Soil? - Bonsai forum

Bonsai forum

4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #49750 by Auk

BAnne16 wrote: 1/3 Hard Japanese Akadama,
1/3 Japanese Pumice,
1/3 Black Lava

Look here:

www.bonsaiempire.com/basics/bonsai-care/bonsai-soil

Where it says:

33% Akadama
33% Pumice
33% Lava rock

Seems that's a perfect match (edited.. as, after posting it, I see you already said that. So yeah, I agree :) )
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Auk.

4 years 10 months ago #50465 by Shephered
Replied by Shephered on topic "Superfly Bonsai" Soil Mixture: Good Soil?
Building on this, I've just repotted a Thuja Occidentalis in this soil and I was wondering how you can tell when to water it. I usually water plants (and my tree seedlings) by feeling the soil and if it's dry I water until it's just wet enough to start sticking to my fingers. With bonsai soil that trick is obviously not going to work, so how do you monitor when to water and when to leave it alone?

4 years 9 months ago #51440 by Vanboom
Replied by Vanboom on topic "Superfly Bonsai" Soil Mixture: Good Soil?
The akadama and pumice will lighten in color when dry, but you can still feel the moisture content with your finger going down into the pot. It just feels more like humidity than wetness IMHO.