Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Found Tree - Not sure about soil... How long until new growth?? 4 years 10 months ago #49838

• Trees_As_Therapy
  • Trees_As_Therapy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
I saw a video where a bonsai artist found a good looking honey suckle in an area around a quarry, and it inspired me to go looking for a tree myself. I didn't know what I was looking for, but I figured that I would know when I saw it. I came across this stream and followed it upstream out of curiosity as to where the water was coming from, and where the stream split from 2 sources, I found this fairly small tree with a gnarly looking root system that was created over time by the erosion of the soil. I have included a picture or 2. I dug it up carefully by going under it from the side of the stream, and removed all of the soil with a claw. It was a long walk, so I took only the tree without the native soil. A friend told me that you should always amend the native soil when transplanting. Did I go wrong here? I wanted to fit it in the smallest pot I could without having to cut any more of the root system. I searched, but I couldn't find the pot that I wanted, so I settled on mending 2 round plastic planters together to try to create an oval plastic planter... and it looked decent until I added the tree and soil, at which time the sides bulged out in a way that I didn't anticipate. Anyway, I bought this soil for potting and another for water saving, but I don't know if its the best soil for the plant. I transplanted it 3 weeks ago, but no new growth has started. I scraped the bark a tiny bit along the trunk to see if the cambium layer was still living, and it was green, so its still alive. (a trick I learned from reading The Secret Garden as a child.) It just bothers me that I have no other signs to tell me if I'm doing the right things. I have it in a very shady area, because I didn't want it to dry out, but should I have it in a partially sunny area? Does the cambium layer still do a small amount of photosynthesis that can boost the plant's leaf production if I give it more sun?
I found someone in my area that can make a custom pot for me, but I want to make sure that I get the soil right before I spring for a unique decorative planter. Any advice on soil? Should I give the plant more sun even though I cut off the leafy section? How long until I should see new growth? I was also thinking of cutting it along the red line in this edited photo... Should I do this now or wait until the tree has regained more strength? I'm extremely new to this, so any advice would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Found Tree - Not sure about soil... How long until new growth?? 4 years 10 months ago #49839

• Trees_As_Therapy
My pictures didn't show up. It seems the files were too large. Can I edit the original post?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by Trees_As_Therapy.

Found Tree - Not sure about soil... How long until new growth?? 4 years 10 months ago #49856

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
What secies is it? Not all species are equally forgiving with regards to summer transplanting.
3 weeks is not a lot of time for a tree to recver from having all energy producing organs chopped off, and having all the water-uptake organs removed.

For the next years you do not need to consider a bonsai pot.

Found Tree - Not sure about soil... How long until new growth?? 4 years 10 months ago #50003

• Trees_As_Therapy
I'm not sure what species it is. I would have to return to the location I found it to look at its family. There were a few more like it, but this one has the best neagari. It was still early enough in spring that I think it will be alright. This is my first year trying to train wild trees to resemble bonsai trees, so I'm not sure what time frame I'm looking at for new growth. I'm a little anxious and apprehensive of the outcome... It looks like there's a lot of potential in the plant to transform it into a beautiful bonsai tree.

Found Tree - Not sure about soil... How long until new growth?? 4 years 10 months ago #50004

• Trees_As_Therapy
I got lucky and found the perfect sized oval container at a dollar store (for $1.99). It wasn't intended for planting, but a few holes drilled in the bottom did the trick for making it into a great temporary planter until the root system can grow stronger. I stuck it in the ground a little to ensure that it retained enough moisture that it didn't dry out too quickly if it went a while without watering.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by Trees_As_Therapy.
  • Page: