Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Should I repot? 4 years 10 months ago #49986

• Harrishipp
  • Harrishipp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello!
I am a beginner to growing Bonsai and have never repotted before. I have juniper bonsai and live in a hot very humid climate in the South. It is now early Summer and much of the research I have done suggests that i have missed the repotting window, and with that said i dont want to damage or stunt my trees growth by repotting at a bad time. However, the pot my tree came in had glued rocks which i have removed based on advice, a small pot as seen in the pictures provided, and the potting job has no mesh on the bottom and I have no way to now if it has been fertilized well.

Long story short from the pictures provided i want to know i should repot the plant, if repotting it would hurt the plant, and lastly if i do no repot should i perhaps add some soil and fertilize so it can thrive in the summer seasons.

Also it has a couple of brown leaves near the roots and i dont know if i should be concerned. I have attached pictures included what the current soil looks like for further detail. Thank you!!!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Should I repot? 4 years 10 months ago #49988

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
Wow wow wow, hold your horses , calm down, breath in, breath out....:)

First of all: you said it yourself, you missed the repotting season. So, don't repot, simple
Second: if soil level is too low, just add some.
Fertilising...you can do
After all that, study study study on how to repot and what to do and not to do before, during and afterwards ( like not to fertilise right after a repot).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Harrishipp

Should I repot? 4 years 10 months ago #50008

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
The repotting season in Alabama starts in February and goes to late March. Between now and then, look at the tree and think about what to do. Then look again and change your mind. Read a lot on the web and think about what to do.

You don't want to look at the calendar one day and realize you should have repotted last week then grab some tools and repot real fast. Use the next six-seven months well.

• Page: