Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: Pro-Mix High Porosity Mycorrhizae

Pro-Mix High Porosity Mycorrhizae 4 months 3 weeks ago #51620

Hi All,

Since it’s fairly hard for me to obtain proper Bonsai soil mix where I live, I was looking for alternatives and found Pro-Mix HP.

What are your thoughts on using this as part of a Bonsai soil mix in place of Akadama?

I’m thinking to mix this with Pumice and Lava Rock (if I can even find these) as my growing medium. So far the only thing that’s easy for me to find is Perlite.

Thanks!

www.pthorticulture.com/en/products/pro-mix-hp-mycorrhizae/

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

  • seeparks
  • seeparks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 71
  • Thanks received: 9

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by seeparks.

Pro-Mix High Porosity Mycorrhizae 4 months 3 weeks ago #51621

I don't know this product, but it seems appropriate for pines.
  • Clicio
  • Clicio's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 2850
  • Thanks received: 1195

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pro-Mix High Porosity Mycorrhizae 4 months 3 weeks ago #51622

Clicio wrote: I don't know this product, but it seems appropriate for pines.


Why do you say it seems appropriate for pines? Is there something specific in this mix that would benefit pines? Sorry I’m not too familiar with the soil needs for specific types of trees.
  • seeparks
  • seeparks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 71
  • Thanks received: 9

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pro-Mix High Porosity Mycorrhizae 4 months 3 weeks ago #51628

seeparks wrote:

Clicio wrote: I don't know this product, but it seems appropriate for pines.


Why do you say it seems appropriate for pines? Is there something specific in this mix that would benefit pines? Sorry I’m not too familiar with the soil needs for specific types of trees.


I don’t know why Clicio said, but could be this: If they didn’t specify on the label which type of Micorhizza (ecto, endo, from which species collected..), maybe it contains Ectendomycorrhiza which only beneficial for pines and larches. I have less confidence tho...
The following user(s) said Thank You: seeparks
  • Felidae
  • Felidae's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 687
  • Thanks received: 230

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pro-Mix High Porosity Mycorrhizae 4 months 3 weeks ago #51629

seeparks wrote: Why do you say it seems appropriate for pines? Is there something specific in this mix that would benefit pines?.


"High porosity" and "Mycorhrizae" in the same label rings a bell: conifers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: seeparks
  • Clicio
  • Clicio's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 2850
  • Thanks received: 1195

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pro-Mix High Porosity Mycorrhizae 4 months 3 weeks ago #51630

Clicio wrote:

seeparks wrote: Why do you say it seems appropriate for pines? Is there something specific in this mix that would benefit pines?.


"High porosity" and "Mycorhrizae" in the same label rings a bell: conifers.


Clicio, something I should do wrong.. I use high porosity soils for all of my trees (Eg. Akadama, pumice, lava rock, you name it..)
Could you explain to me why is good for conifers and not for bl trees?
As same with mychorriza. I know it’s more important for conifers, but as far as I know 80% of the tree species benefits them. Do you see something on the package which indicates this is for conifers?
  • Felidae
  • Felidae's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 687
  • Thanks received: 230

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pro-Mix High Porosity Mycorrhizae 4 months 3 weeks ago #51631

Thanks Clicio and Felidae. I thought high porosity would be good for any plant in a small pot since it would help reduce water retention and root rot. That’s why I was highly considering to include this in my Bonsai soil mix. It’s also very affordable since a 60 LBS bag costs about $30 CAD.
  • seeparks
  • seeparks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 71
  • Thanks received: 9

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by seeparks.

Pro-Mix High Porosity Mycorrhizae 4 months 3 weeks ago #51632

Felidae wrote: "High porosity" and "Mycorhrizae"
Could you explain to me why is good for conifers and not for bl trees?


Felidae... :dry: I have never said it was not good for broadleaf trees...
I said "I don't know this product".
It looks good. Maybe as good to bl as for conifers. For pines, I would use it for sure.
For tropicals probably not, especially in a inorganic mix, as tropicals here need lots of organics to thrive.
It depends, as always.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Felidae
  • Clicio
  • Clicio's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 2850
  • Thanks received: 1195

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pro-Mix High Porosity Mycorrhizae 4 months 3 weeks ago #51636

Clicio wrote:

Felidae wrote: "High porosity" and "Mycorhrizae"
Could you explain to me why is good for conifers and not for bl trees?


Felidae... :dry: I have never said it was not good for broadleaf trees...
I said "I don't know this product".
It looks good. Maybe as good to bl as for conifers. For pines, I would use it for sure.
For tropicals probably not, especially in a inorganic mix, as tropicals here need lots of organics to thrive.
It depends, as always.


Thanks, I feel a bit less confused .. : )
I don’t know neither the substrate, but from this two posts I thought you suggesting it for pines and I do something wrong.

Clicio wrote: I don't know this product, but it seems appropriate for pines.


Clicio wrote:

seeparks wrote: Why do you say it seems appropriate for pines? Is there something specific in this mix that would benefit pines?.


"High porosity" and "Mycorhrizae" in the same label rings a bell: conifers.

  • Felidae
  • Felidae's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 687
  • Thanks received: 230

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
Log in Register