• Page:

TOPIC:

Tropicals and scheduling 4 years 8 months ago #51731

• Ivan Mann
  • Ivan Mann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600
I was told by someone that tropicals can be reported, root pruned, etc.anytime, including August (which is next week).

I also understand that the best time for any tree is when new growth is about to pop out vigorously because that is when the strongest growing happens.

The baobab tree drops all the leaves in the fall, November or December, and then they pop out again in April or so usually corresponding to temperature and coming inside. There haven't been new leaves for a couple of months and this year's look strong and healthy. Similarly with the Jaboticaba, it doesn't drop all the leaves but a lot fall off.mit has been putting out new growth since April.

Did I miss the window on these two? That is, which criterion above applies?

I really want to chop off the top of the baobab, and the Jaboticaba needs new soil, since it is the only one left in dirt, not real bonsai soil. It also needs root pruning. But I can wait until April if now is not a good idea.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tropicals and scheduling 4 years 8 months ago #51732

• Bunsen33
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 43
I think that the 'do anything, anytime' only applies to the tropicals that are evergreen (don't drop their leaves or go into a significant dormant/slow period). In terms of your baobab I would consider how much of the leaf area you would be removing with the top chop. If you'd 10% of the leaves you should be ok to do it now. If if were 20% or more removed I would wait until I it drops its leaves. The tree may not be putting out new leaves right now but it is using what is there to prepare for next spring's growth. Doing a big canopy reduction now would hinder its strength come spring.

Tropicals and scheduling 4 years 8 months ago #51733

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Hi, jaboticaba can be done now if there is enough time until your winter arrives.
In tropical countries one can repot anytime, and they like organic wettish soil.
As for baobabs, I have no experience with the species.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ivan Mann

Last edit: Post by Clicio.

Tropicals and scheduling 4 years 7 months ago #51936

• Ivan Mann
  • Ivan Mann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600
I should have included this one.

I have a ficus somethingus that I also repotted last year about August, in a decent enough akadama mix. Today it has raised the soil level from half a centimeter or so below the edge of the pot to at least the same above the edge. It needs to have some roots cut off.

However, it has great foliage right now. I got it about 19 years ago and it has always dropped most of its leaves in November, with new growth in late February or March. It doesn't seem like it is the right time. Opinions?

I did repot the Jaboticaba last Thursday and it is doing just fine so far.

• Page: