Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Bonsai Soil Mix (Substitute for Akadama) 4 years 8 months ago #51831

• seeparks
  • seeparks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 9
Hi All,

I'll be heading out of town to pick up material to create my own Bonsai soil mix. I've already read the Bonsai soil page on this website and I'm going with the Deciduous 50% Akadama, 25% Pumice, and 25% Volcanic Lava Rock recommendation. My Deciduous trees are: Trident Maple, Arakawa Cork Bark Maple, and Deshojo Maple. I also plan to use these materials to create Bonsai soil mixes for my tropical trees which are mainly Ficus, Fukien Tea, and Jade.

After researching about the use of Akadama in Bonsai soil mixes, it seems the consensus is that Akadama breaks down very quickly and turns into mud within 2 years. I would like to know if it's suitable to replace Akadama with Kanuma since Kanuma doesn't break down as quickly. However, I've read that Kanuma is slightly more Acidic when compared to Akadama. Would it be better to substitute Turface or even Clay for Akadama or are there better alternatives?

Finally, is Akadama all that it's made out to be? If so, maybe I'll take a chance on it and include it in my Bonsai soil mix to see how it performs and holds up over time. Supposedly Akadama helps promote the development and growth of fine roots which are very beneficial to Bonsai trees. Are there any substitutes for Akadama that could do the same?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by seeparks.

Bonsai Soil Mix (Substitute for Akadama) 4 years 8 months ago #51834

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I would recommend searching the forum. Substrates are heavily debated and you will find extremes towards.. You need akadama, as well as akadama is the root of bonsai evil.

My view on substrate can be found here: www.growingbonsai.net/characteristics-of-good-bonsai-substrate/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: