Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Repotting too late? 4 years 8 months ago #52155

• acnologiaryu
  • acnologiaryu's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I have a jacaranda mimosifolia plant. It is still pre bonsai. I had repotted it last year around October. However It started growing a lot over this summer. I do not know whether it is too late to repot now. However my plant became quite large compared to the pot and I am not sure whether that would choke the roots. or whether I should wait till spring of next year to repot?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Repotting too late? 4 years 8 months ago #52221

• Shephered
  • Thanks received: 13
Wow! Look at that growth!

Okay, so you could always dry out the soil a bit so it's dry enough that it won't crumble and wet enough that it'll hold together if you remove it from the pot. Remove it the entire dirtball from the pot CAREFULLY to see how choked the roots are. If it is obviously tied up, root to root, I'd suggest repotting. At the end of the day right now, it's still a baby and should have time and space to grow. If the roots arent super congested, carefully put the soil back into the pot and let it rest until spring and then repot it in a MUCH bigger pot. That thing is too tiny for the amount of growth you're trying to coax out of your jacaranda.
The following user(s) said Thank You: acnologiaryu

Repotting too late? 4 years 8 months ago #52222

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

... and then repot it in a MUCH bigger pot...

Shephered, not soooo big.
Very big pots for tropical seedlings can hold too much water and root rot can occur.
Here in Brazil we tend to care for Jacarandás going from pot n#1 to n#2, to n#4 and so on.
More work, but safer.

Repotting too late? 4 years 8 months ago #52226

• acnologiaryu
  • acnologiaryu's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
You mentioned that I wass trying to coax too much growth out of my bonsai. If I wanted a smaller bonsai, was I supposed to prune it earlier? Since it is young, I was under the impression that I had to wait a few seasons before pruning it. I am new to this and would love some advice on this. Thank you.

Last edit: Post by acnologiaryu.

Repotting too late? 4 years 8 months ago #52227

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

I was under the impression that I had to wait a few seasons before pruning it.

You are right, up to a point.
There is something called "baby bending" <www.growingbonsai.net/baby-bending/> which works.
But pruning is another matter; I would let out grow for three seasons before pruning it.

Repotting too late? 4 years 8 months ago #52234

• Shephered
  • Thanks received: 13
No, no, I didn't mean you had too much growth, quite the opposite, I was impressed. I too am growing a Jarcada from a seedling and mine is only 8 months old so it has quite a few years ahead of it before it'll be workable.

Like the wise Clicio said, let it grow a few more seasons before considering it for a bonsai. Most who grow from seeds transplant them outside and essentially ignore them for a few years until they're older.

• Page: