• Page:

TOPIC:

The Great Azalea Project 4 years 6 months ago #52893

• Ivan Mann
  • Ivan Mann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600
I am making plans for Spring and the azaleas I dug up last winter.

With the water we have here, way off the scale hard, acid soil will be hard to manage. There are people here who grind up pine bark and use it for organic matter. Would that work for the azaleas?

There are plenty of azaleas and there will be lots of work this spring. If I don't do much chopping of roots, would there be a survival problem with doing them as the fall progresses, that is, if we ever get weather that pushes the azaleas into dormancy?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Great Azalea Project 4 years 6 months ago #52894

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
I am not sure. I am not convinced that bark will be anough to keep your soil azalea friendly if it really is hard. Any chance of colleting rain water for them?

I have a bottle of lemon acid to add to the water every once in a while if the summer is really dry (My borehole sites in a lime layer). Seems to work well enough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ivan Mann

The Great Azalea Project 4 years 6 months ago #52909

• Ivan Mann
  • Ivan Mann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600
Rain. I think I remember that.

It rained three or four times in August but not more than once in July. Some years I never get the lawn sprinkler out. Some years the lawn needs watering every week.

Usually in the fertilizing months I give them azalea acid friendly fertilizer once a week.

I water all the trees with the shower attachment on the hose. I guess then pour some water in a hand sprinkler, put some lemon juice in, and pour some on each azalea. Every day? Twice a week? Every day except acid fertilizer day?

• Page: