Bonsai forum

Akadama, always or never?

• PhilipJohansen
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 23

Akadama, always or never? was created by PhilipJohansen

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53237
Hello,
I was just surfing google about soil, akadama, bonsai etc etc. I came across an article on the bonsai empire that addresses this topic. I read down and come down to a section from Harry Harrington.

Quote -
One misunderstanding that many enthusiasts seem to have is that although Akadama has been used for many years in Japan; this is not because it is the 'best' soil for Bonsai. It is simply because in Japan it is, or at least was, a relatively cheap and freely available to enthusiasts. - Harry Harrington

I dont understand this, from all i have read Akadama is the ”holy grail”. I have seen so many videos about this and that akadama do this and akadama do that. Stuff about particle size, horizael etc etc.

What do you think about this?
by PhilipJohansen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Akadama, always or never?

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53239
At a yearly open house at the biggest bonsai nursery in the Netherlands, someone who was giving a workshop, said that, if you're not using Akadama, you're not doing bonsai.

I've also read that you should never use Akadama (for old, collected conifers. See: walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.com/2013/08/akadama-bag.html ):

Also, I've seem lots of discussions about the topic - that often got out of hand.

I think what you use should depend on the tree species and your climate.
by Auk
The following user(s) said Thank You: PhilipJohansen

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487

Replied by lucR on topic Akadama, always or never?

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53241
Its a neverending story- a cats/dogs, BMW/Mercedes.... kind of thing..
As a beginner i worked my way through all ( well, thats impossible but a lot) of info about soil/substrate. I decided on the info i gathered that there was nothing speaking absolutely for akadama, so i tried a few cheaper things first and ended up with a mixture of clinoptilolite, terramol, vermiculite and a bit of organic material ( a bit depending of the tree). I am happy with this mixture and my trees are happy. You can go on and on about it all , and some will say that only akadama is the real thing, and if you use cat litter ( terramol) you are not really doing bonsai, etc etc. Just keep and open mind, be objective, try some things and use what is best for you and your trees.
by lucR

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1358

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Akadama, always or never?

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53242
I grow in cat litter ans spagnum moss. Its the same mix I use for all my tropical plants that need it wet and well draining. Japan have very wet summers and they need a lot more drainage than you and me need in the North. Our dry summers craves for a Little more water retention, or you find yourself just watering all the time. However, in the wet Winters, you will need to protect the tree from rain if you go this route. I keep mine in an unheated greenhouse.

It has worked fine for me so far. I did purshase a tree allready potted in akadama, that one is also working well.

But I am not that experieced, maybe a few more years of practicing will change my mind?

BR
Magnus
by Tropfrog

• Hansen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 86

Replied by Hansen on topic Akadama, always or never?

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53243
Akadama means red clay and is found naturally in Japan. Akadama has some special features that no other soil type has.

Akadama retains the water and can release the water when the roots need it.

Akadama are the only type of soil that can hold onto the fertilizer molecules.

The last feature of Akadama is that the roots have the opportunity to penetrate the Akadama particles which causes the roots to divide into 2/3, which gives you a compact root ball in the short time.

No other soil types have the features that Akadama have. Cat litter eg. holds much more water than Akadama and therefore one must take care not to use too much.

For me, Akadama is necessary if you want to make bonsai seriously.

Akadama, Pumice and lava soil mix are perfect for bonsai and provide amazing roots. The mix can be used for both evergreens and deciduous, and can be used allover the world.
Last Edit:4 years 6 months ago by Hansen
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Hansen.

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53244

Hansen wrote: For me, Akadama is necessary if you want to make bonsai seriously.

...see, thats what i meant....

(...so , Walter Pall, Harry Harrington f.i. are not making bonsai seriously.... seriously?)
Last Edit:4 years 6 months ago by lucR
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by lucR.

• Hansen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53245
Lucr

Did you even read the what I said? I said for ME Akadama is nessesary, i didn't speak about Walter and Harry and i never said they don't make bonsai seriously. Don't put words in my mouth I didn't sad. I try again. Try read the hole text. Then you will know why it's the best soil type in MY opinion.

Akadama has some special features that no other soil type has:

Akadama retains the water and can release the water when the roots need it.

Akadama are the only type of soil that can hold onto the fertilizer molecules.

The last feature of Akadama is that the roots have the opportunity to penetrate the Akadama particles which causes the roots to divide into 2/3, which gives you a compact root ball in the short time.

Almost every soil type can be used for bonsai but some are better than others and no other soil types have the features that Akadama have.

Perhaps Walter and Harry dosen't use Akadama. But all the greatest bonsai masters from Japan are using Akadama. I trust the Japanese masters more than I trust Walter and Harry.
Last Edit:4 years 6 months ago by Hansen
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Hansen.

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53246
Of course I read your comment, and that's exactly why I picked out that exact part of it for a quote.
by lucR
The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback

• Hansen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53247
I give up. Try read the hole context instead of putting words in my mouth I didn't said.
by Hansen

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Akadama, always or never?

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53248

Hansen wrote: all the greatest bonsai masters from Japan are using Akadama.

Which could mean that Akadama is the best choice... when you're in Japan.
by Auk
The following user(s) said Thank You: lucR, BofhSkull, Tropfrog