Bonsai forum

New Guy

• MichaelF478
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

New Guy was created by MichaelF478

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53691
I'm brand new to this hobby and was looking around online for some information and found this site. I'm from middle Ga and have 4 trees. I have a Fukien Tea, and a Brazillian rain tree. The other two I'm just growing out for the time being. I was wondering what everyone is using for there soil mixtures around here. I'm in a Facebook group and they all recommended some different types but I can't seem to find any of that around here. I'd like to just go pick stuff up from the big box stores if possible. Any recommendations??
by MichaelF478

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Hansen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 86

Replied by Hansen on topic New Guy

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53692
It depends on wich tree, the weather in your area etc. The best advice is to ask the people with most experience, in your area. The know what works. In here you will also get recommended 10 different soil mixes.
by Hansen

• MichaelF478
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by MichaelF478 on topic New Guy

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53693
I have noticed that reading online. I've basically decided what I want to try but now I'm trying to figures out substitutes for akadama and pumice. Put together a order online and it was right at 60$. Bad thing is that it wasn't even enough lol.
by MichaelF478

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic New Guy

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53695
Which country are you in?

If you are just starting out and only have a hand full of trees I would say, do not worry too much about it. In the end, trees grow in all sorts of substrates. THere is a thing called "modern substrate", consisting of fairly coarse particles. THis allows for fast drainage and lots of air circulation. In general, this is good to use. What it exactly consists of matters way less than most of the internaet would like you to believe. Only a few species (Mos notably azalea) requires special soil to do well.

Some thoughts about the role of substrate written out: www.growingbonsai.net/characteristics-of-good-bonsai-substrate/

There is a thing called "Boon Mix" available on amazon in some countries. Depending on availability you could consider this. It has akadama in there, which is claimed to have magical properties. Not everyone believes this is the wondersubstrate some make it to be. I have been going at Bonsai for about 8 years now, growing 100-150 trees. I do not use akadama but the mix in the link above.

As you get deeper in tho the bonsai pit you will learn that local conditions matter a lot (If you get 40C summers and 6 months without rain you have a different challenge from the people in say the UK with reai every week and 30C as a peak. Also, whether you are working or retired and home all day will define a lot about how you can care for your trees. I tend to have a very ad hoc life, so my trees are in a no-thinking-just-water-daily substrate. All of them.

THis is also why some people believe you cannot get usefull information online, and only will refer you to not ask questions online. Local knowledge is important. But also there, as everywhere.. Many things are opinions, rather than facts.So read up, ask around and then go with what makes sens and/or what people do whose trees you feel are what you would like to have one day.
by leatherback

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic New Guy

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53703

leatherback wrote: Which country are you in?

GA is the two-letter code for Gabon.
by Auk

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487

Replied by lucR on topic New Guy

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53704

Auk wrote:

leatherback wrote: Which country are you in?

GA is the two-letter code for Gabon.

..could also be a disitrict in Ghana...anyways we agree it's in Afrika...
by lucR

• MichaelF478
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53706
Sorry I seem to forget sometimes thos internet thing I worldwide lol. Ga = Georgia, U.S.A. Like someone said above I'm just going to try and come up with something that'll fit my life style. I need to water once a day since I work 24hr shifts from time to time. Now I'm trying to find something that will retain water for that long. Was thinking peat moss but from what I read it'll hold it longer. Guess that determines how much I should put in the mix. IDK. I'm determined to get this though. TJX for everyone's advice so far to.
by MichaelF478

• Ivan Mann
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic New Guy

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53722
Almost everyone takes the basic mix and adds to it as they see fit, and almost everyone has lots of healthy trees. The longer they will go without watering the more organics you will need, simply to hold water. You can add used coffee grinds, ground up pine bark, potting soil from the garden store, etc.

What part of GA are you in? There is a decent place to get pots and supplies at Conyers, just outside Atlanta.

Btw, most of the bonsaiempire folks use metric. Start thinking in Celsius and centimeters .
by Ivan Mann

• MichaelF478
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53723
I'm thinking about trying perlite, bark, DE, and lava rock. Still doing some research before I make my final decision though. I'm in Macon, Ga. It's about 80miles to Conyers, so it's not that bad. You happen to remember the name of that store?
by MichaelF478

• Ivan Mann
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic New Guy

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53724
There is a Trappist monastery and the store is there, run by them. Look up Bonsai by the Monastery, Conyers. They had a small garden with 8-10 very old trees as part of the monastery.

They had some material to buy that was not great but OK, tools of every kind, akadama and other soil material at pretty decent prices, and more pots than you would believe, every size, shape, color and price you could want.

They don't do anything online because it is too much trouble, they told me. You have to go there.
by Ivan Mann