• Page:

TOPIC:

Baobab and dormant period 4 years 4 months ago #54367

• Ivan Mann
  • Ivan Mann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600
I got a baobab three years ago and have been letting it grow while I figured out what to do with it. Three years ago, just about this time of year, I brought it inside, half the leaves fell off, I found lots of bugs on the remaining leaves, sprayed a lot, worried about it, and long about March lots of leaves popped out. I took it outside then, and it did fine all summer. Two years ago, repeat. Last year, repeat. I have noticed a pattern. I brought it in two weeks ago when temps dropped and the pattern is repeating, so I really am not worrying about the tree now. If pattern repeats there will be a few green leaves all winter, maybe a quarter of what it had a month ago, so I think I could call it half dormant now.

I want to chop the top off and encourage it to be shorter. Also, it is probably time to repot since it has been in the same dirt now for years and there are roots growing out of the drain hole. Now? Wait a while after all the bugs have been dead for a while? March just when new leaves are starting?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Baobab and dormant period 4 years 4 months ago #54369

• Hansen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 86
Repot in march. Cut the top in early summer. That's the safe way.

Baobab and dormant period 4 years 4 months ago #54371

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Repot in march. Cut the top in early summer. That's the safe way.

do you have baobap experience? It is not like other species, i understander.

Baobab and dormant period 4 years 4 months ago #54373

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well, I did what we tell people repeatedly to do, and found care guide for baobab on the website here.

It says repot in the spring, which I interpret to mean when new leaves are about to come out, which means right in the middle of the time when everything else has to be done. Oh, well.

It also says to water once a month. I just find it hard to do that where the temperatures are 90F-105F/32C-41C. I water it usually every other time I water the other trees, which means usually every other day. It is hard to believe the roots could stand no water for a month. The care guide says insects are a problem as soon as it comes inside. Yep. Three years in a row.

Baobab and dormant period 4 years 4 months ago #54375

• Hansen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 86

do you have baobap experience? It is not like other species, i understander.

Yes why? I know they are not like other species. But they still have to be repotted in spring. And they respond very well to trunk chops in late spring/early summer.

It is hard to believe the roots could stand no water for a month.

The trunk are holding very much water. That's why.

Last edit: Post by Hansen.

Baobab and dormant period 4 years 4 months ago #54394

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
My dear Hansen, contrary to your interpretation, nobody is attacking anybody.
I merely asked because I do NOT have experience with the species and did not want to counter someone who does. Furthermore, I do not feel ike arguing with someone who blows a tall horn and will not accept general facts but instead starts "agreeing to disagree".

I have read up on the species a few years back when I considerd growing them. At that time I read the recommendation from other experienced grower to do repotting in the middle of winter when all leaves are off, but well before it is supposed to start growing. Baobap being succulent, their roots appearently need time to dry and seal the wounds before being watered again to avoid root-rot.

Next time, please refrain from blowing of steam in private, and consider the option that people are not out to get you but are trying to help the OP to understand. The world does NOT evolve around you. And as to why you consider me king of the forum? Thenk you, but I am just someone trying to grow nice trees and help others where I can. No need for labels and certainly not for the sexist remarks you throw my way in private..

Last edit: Post by leatherback.

Baobab and dormant period 4 years 4 months ago #54395

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ivan,

I have never grown them, so no practical advice from me. I have however been to the area where they grow naturally, and it is fairly hostile. Hot dry spiny woodland. Living part of the year on whatever is stored.

I think it might be good to not consider this as just a regular tree species: also keep in mind their cucculent nature.
You will have to find out, but I know many succulents drain their roots of moisture during dry spells, and slowly replenish their roots with water once conditions get wet again. When I used to grow cacti I would let the pots drink initially by jus addiing a bit of water on dishes below the pot.Only after growth had started would I fully water the pots. I do not know whether baobaps need similar treatment. One of the reasons people kill succulents is because they water them in inactive state and the roots start rotting.

Inspiration, two of my pics

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, BofhSkull, Ivan Mann

Baobab and dormant period 4 years 4 months ago #54407

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I had meant to get banyan but clicked the wrong box, so this is not what I was going to get, but I thought it looked decently different so here it is.

I guess what I should do next summer is not water it for a while and see how long it takes for the leaves to start to wilt. In the climate here it seems like you should water at least once a day, and watering once a week seems counter intuitive. In the meantime, I'll do the root, etc., work mid winter, which means January here.4
I am looking for excuses to do some trees at different times just to spread the work out. With all the things I dug up last spring I have a lot of potting and training to do.

Thanks for those with advice.

Baobab and dormant period 4 years 4 months ago #54408

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
For those with matching tastes, there is a French singer named Tal with a video on Youtube where she is walking down a long row of baobabs just like one of these pictures. I think the song was Marche au Soleil, or a similar name. They look strange after a lifetime of oaks, pines, and maples.

Baobab and dormant period 4 years 4 months ago #54409

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
It probably is the same street. The row of baobaps where I took this is one of the most iconic places on madagaskar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 333Adriaan333

• Page: