Collecting horse chestnut

• Tropfrog
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1361

Collecting horse chestnut was created by Tropfrog

Posted 4 years 4 months ago #55085
I have Asked my neighbour a few times about his red flowering chestnut trees. Now he came by and told me I can take them as he is selling the property.

They are grown from seed by last owner and are approx 15-20 years. In my opinion they have good potential with some 15 cm wide trunks and some low growing branches still.

Anyone here that have grown chestnut as bonsai? Will the red chestnut be a Good candidate?

I Will need to collect first time frost releases. Not the perfect time? Any advises welcomed. Take them or leave them?
by Tropfrog

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Collecting horse chestnut

Posted 4 years 4 months ago #55102
I have three of 'm, all from seed. They've been in full ground for years. For chestnuts, you will need a massive trunk (relatively speaking, of course).
I have one in a pot. More an experiment than a real bonsai. Leaves have reduced very much.

Potential... the definition is: "having or showing the capacity to develop into something in the future"

This tree doesn't show that. Only a thick trunk is not enough so I'd say currently, it doesn't have much potential.
Doesn't mean you can't use it, but it's going to take work and time.
by Auk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog

• Beiermann
  • Thanks received: 2

Replied by Beiermann on topic Collecting horse chestnut

Posted 4 years 4 months ago #55106
Ye I'll have to agree, and the roots will play a large part of how or if you can take it out of the ground. Normally with a tree growing like that it will have a deep taproot, which makes it tricky. Not impossible but tricky. If all is good with the roots and so on and you can make it survive for the first years, growing roots. Then in time...a lot of time you can grow a good root base and with it new branches.

However, if you can a tree. Either from a regular garden senter or better you can find. With the right legality, a wild tree. With features you like, that you think can one day make a good bonsai with. I'm not talking of a full blown yamadori, it is important to respect nature and only take what we can keep alive. So read up on collecting trees, it is what I started with and now years later I have several trees that I am proud of.
Good luck!
by Beiermann
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog

• Tropfrog
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1361

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Collecting horse chestnut

Posted 4 years 4 months ago #55115
Thanks both.

Beiermann. I allready have one yamadori pine and have the necessary permit to collect a few more in spring. And my bench is full of garden center materials. What I am looking for right now is trees that make good candidates for big bonsais.

Auk: maybe the Photo does not make justice to the trees. With the correct cuts, I Believe they have fairly Good tapering and movements. Nebari on the other hand might be an issue.

I have scedueled a visit from an experienced bonsai artist and collecter from my area. I guess the final descition Will be made after he have seen the trees . After all there Will be a Fair amount of work involved. They are in heavy clay soil.

Any other input still appreciated.
by Tropfrog