Bonsai forum

First repot of Coniferous Trees

• Manchego
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

First repot of Coniferous Trees was created by Manchego

Posted 4 years 1 month ago #56701
Hi there, new here and to bonsai.

I bought a kit from Hobby Lobby last year, right now the only survivors were a few Bristle-cone Pines and a couple Norway Spruce. They're in straight peat moss right now and I want to re pot and hopefully cut the taproots in the next few weeks. From the pictures, can you guys tell if they're ready for that? Like I said, they're just about a year old now.

I'm looking at using this pre-mixed soil found here . I see it's a 1/3 each of pumice, lava and akadema which is what this site recommends for coniferous trees.

Just wondering if anyone has any other advice or recommendations for me?
by Manchego

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic First repot of Coniferous Trees

Posted 4 years 1 month ago #56704

Manchego wrote: From the pictures, can you guys tell if they're ready for that? Like I said, they're just about a year old now.

I don't want to be responsible for killing your trees due to bad advise, but yeah, I'd say now would be a good time. Don't know what your season is like, but you might be a bit on the late side to do this though.
by Auk

• Manchego
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Manchego on topic First repot of Coniferous Trees

Posted 4 years 1 month ago #56717
I'm in Northwestern Montana, our temps are just starting to get into the 40s so I think if I do it within the next week or so they'll be fine. From what I read, mid February to early spring while they're still dormant is the ideal time.

The other question I just thought of is, say I went with this mix, do I also want some kind of bark or soil to go on top?

From the books/guides I've seen on re-poting, people push bark down into the roots and on top with a chopstick. Is that just when they tress are full grown and have bigger roots, to hold them in place better?
by Manchego

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1361

Replied by Tropfrog on topic First repot of Coniferous Trees

Posted 4 years 1 month ago #56719
This trees seems to be able to stay in that pots for a coupple of more years. I would not hurry.
by Tropfrog

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic First repot of Coniferous Trees

Posted 4 years 1 month ago #56727

Manchego wrote: I'm in Northwestern Montana, our temps are just starting to get into the 40s so I think if I do it within the next week or so they'll be fine. From what I read, mid February to early spring while they're still dormant is the ideal time.

The other question I just thought of is, say I went with this mix, do I also want some kind of bark or soil to go on top?

From the books/guides I've seen on re-poting, people push bark down into the roots and on top with a chopstick. Is that just when they tress are full grown and have bigger roots, to hold them in place better?

It is pretty easy to put the soil in and have large holes with no soil, which does no good for the tree. The chopsticks push the dirt into the holes. You don't have to use chopsticks. Any long, fairly straight stick will do. I got a large pack of bamboo skewers in the cook out section of Home Depot. They amount to $.02 apiece and I use them for lots of things, including soil compacting.
by Ivan Mann

• Manchego
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Manchego on topic First repot of Coniferous Trees

Posted 4 years 1 month ago #56799
I decided to just let the trees stay in these pots at least another year. Thanks
by Manchego