Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Thicker trunk, help! 4 years 1 month ago #56705

• Newbiepber
  • Newbiepber's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello everyone! I’m new to bonsai, I bought a little Juniper from a local nursery called Eastern Leaf in Southern California last July. It’s doing well but I want it to grow thicker and taller. I’ve read and seen videos saying to plant it in a large pot but I’ve never repotted before and was wondering if I set up the soil mixture the same as if it were still going into a small pot? Also how large is too large for the pot to have it grow? Attached is a few images of my lil guy please help me grow this dude big and strong!

Edit: Hmmm looks like the pictures aren't showing up, I'll try to solve this once I'm able to get on my laptop

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Newbiepber.

Thicker trunk, help! 4 years 1 month ago #56707

• persimmon
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 54
The bigger the pot, the faster it grows. But it will take years and years to thicken a trunk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Thicker trunk, help! 4 years 1 month ago #56709

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Hello everyone! I’m new to bonsai, I bought a little Juniper from a local nursery called Eastern Leaf in Southern California last July.

Without a picture I can only recommend to read reviews about the shop where you buy something. Not all are very good.

davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/7303/0/#b

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Thicker trunk, help! 4 years 4 weeks ago #56713

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
junipers grow best when the roots have filled the pot.a so do not get too big a pot. i would not increase pot size by more than 100% from the one it is in now.

more important than pot size is proper water and fertilizer. and sun of course.

Thicker trunk, help! 4 years 4 weeks ago #56718

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600

The bigger the pot, the faster it grows. But it will take years and years to thicken a trunk.

The biggest pot, of course, is the yard .

Thicker trunk, help! 4 years 4 weeks ago #56728

• Newbiepber
  • Newbiepber's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello everyone, thank you for the replies they've been helpful. I was thinking of planting it in the yard but I'm not entirely sure how to prepare the soil, if anyone has any links to guides it'd be really helpful to me. Here are a couple photos of my tree:
imgur.com/a/7mO9VPR

For some reason the image link option isn't displaying my photos in my post but the imgur link has the two photos in there.

@Auk yeah I know I should have done research but I really wasn't planning on buying a tree, I was hanging out with one of my friends and he wanted to check the place out. When we got there he convinced me to pick one up too so we could grow them together, he didn't really take care of his though and unfortunately it died.

• Page: